"Export as read-only" overrides more granular permission-tuning on subfolders. Expected behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guermantes

Patron
Have I understood this correctly, or are there "hidden" caveats I am not seeing?

On FreeNAS 11.04, if I create a Windows share and set it to "export as read-only" this seems to prevent me from tweaking permissions for a single subfolder in order to allow write access to it.

1) Is that expected behaviour?

2) If I want to single out a subfolder in an otherwise write-protected share and allow write access to it, I should not use "export as readonly" but tweak permissions for the whole share instead?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Have I understood this correctly, or are there "hidden" caveats I am not seeing?

On FreeNAS 11.04, if I create a Windows share and set it to "export as read-only" this seems to prevent me from tweaking permissions for a single subfolder in order to allow write access to it.

1) Is that expected behaviour?
Yes

2) If I want to single out a subfolder in an otherwise write-protected share and allow write access to it, I should not use "export as readonly" but tweak permissions for the whole share instead?
Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.