Error when installing 9.3 - hangs during installation and no option to select drive to install to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HazRam

Dabbler
Hi All,

I need some assistance please with a new Installation of Freenas 9.3.
Basically what is happening is I am booting from an ISO CD and when I get to the installation process it starts working fine and then hangs and gives some errors. I do not even get to the stage where it asks me where do I wish to install the OS to.
The error is something along the lines of unable to (re-)mount root. It also says something about List valid Dirk Boot devices, Yield 1 second (for background tasks) then Abort manual input.

I have also seen an error 5 but not sure what this is.

The specs are:
CPU= Intel i930
Ram = Kingston Hyperx non-ecc Ram 12GB.
Installation destination drive = OCZ Vertex2 SSD 128GB
5x WD Red 2TB hard drives.
MB = Asus P6X58D-E

I know I am not using ECC Ram but the motherboard does not support it and I can't afford to upgrade to a new MB, CPU and RAM.

I will manly be using the service for Media streaming and some back up of photos and documents.

I would really appreciate some help on what is going wrong.

Cheers

HazRam

Dabbler
I tried again after disconnecting all the Hard Drives except the SSD that I want to install to and still the same issue.
I did notice an error to do with AHCI chancel 7 but not sure what that is either. Sorry I am not very good at FreeNas problems as I am brand new to it all.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No clue how to help you since you didn't provide the actual error message itself.

Likewise, your stuff (MB and CPU in particular) isn't really recommended. So I can't say that I'm surprised you are having problems that aren't easily diagnosed.

HazRam

Dabbler
No clue how to help you since you didn't provide the actual error message itself.

Likewise, your stuff (MB and CPU in particular) isn't really recommended. So I can't say that I'm surprised you are having problems that aren't easily diagnosed.

Ok so I tried installing to an 8gb USB drive and that worked fine but when I try to boot the system it says "No configured interfaces were found, try it manually". Not sure what means. Any ideas?

Thanks for the assistance.

Cheers

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Ok so I tried installing to an 8gb USB drive and that worked fine but when I try to boot the system it says "No configured interfaces were found, try it manually". Not sure what means. Any ideas?

Thanks for the assistance.

Cheers
That means your network interface is not compatible. One of the many reasons we recommend AGAINST a board just like yours.

HazRam

Dabbler
Actually guys thanks for the reply but I found your replies really unhelpful. Rather then trying to assist people who are new to this you just make stupid comments which makes you feel big when in actual fact your childish!

I managed to get it working myself. Thanks for nothing

Considering Freesnas can be installed on ANY pc (Freenas have made this claim on their own website) with minimum requirements of 8gb of RAM and an 8gb USB drive it would be nice if people actually helped instead of getting on their high horses and being dicks about it.

solarisguy

Guru
I have no idea what your errors were and why they went away, but something is wrong. Unless you figure it out, it will surely come back and haunt you! Did your system work with FreeBSD or Linux or Windows or anything reasonable before?

Got an idea on No configured interfaces were found, try it manually, though! The message means the operating system thinks that there is no interface that is configured to be connected to the network. There are at least four reasons for such message (I am assuming the obvious that your FreeNAS is connected to the network, the network cables are good and plugged into right places, etc...):
  • FreeNAS is connected to the network, but the network does not have DHCP running or for some obscure reason DHCP server did not respond;
  • the network card is faulty (did it work before?);
  • the network card is not compatible with FreeNAS (I have no clue, but you should check that);
  • however, there is a simple scenario, an occasional FreeNAS hiccup, that was seen by some users, and you should try the following:
    • at the console select option 1) that is Configure Network Interfaces
    • if a name of an interface shows up, you are back in business, go to next step; if not then try to sell the hardware you have and get something recommended
    • probably you have one interface, so select 1 (do not type the name of the interface, just one digit...), I think you have to press Enter afterwards; please report back what has happened.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Actually guys thanks for the reply but I found your replies really unhelpful. Rather then trying to assist people who are new to this you just make stupid comments which makes you feel big when in actual fact your childish!

I managed to get it working myself. Thanks for nothing

Considering Freesnas can be installed on ANY pc (Freenas have made this claim on their own website) with minimum requirements of 8gb of RAM and an 8gb USB drive it would be nice if people actually helped instead of getting on their high horses and being dicks about it.
I think it might be better if you found a new forum to insult. This one isn't going to work out well for you.

I'm glad you think you know better than literally everyone that has been through these trials and tribulations. I guess maybe you should hop on and start working with the developers since they don't know anything.

You also might want to come down off YOUR high horse and stop the name calling.

It sounds like another project is more along your lines though.

Status
Not open for further replies.