Not open for further replies.

Xudomus

Cadet
First things first, hardware (which came from an old unused PC) includes:

Gigabyte - GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+
AMD FX-4100 (Quad Core)
8GB non-ECC RAM
3x4TB HGST Deskstar (New)
2x3TB WD Desktop (Leftover from Old PC, formatted)
1x1TB WD Desktop (Also leftover)
1x16GB SanDisk UltraFit (New, to use as FreeNAS boot drive)

This really is a 'fresh' install, I'm not upgrading from 9.X, I've got an empty drive that I'm trying to get FreeNAS 11 loaded onto. So I can boot all the way into the installer GRUB Menu, where FreeNAS Installer options can be seen, just like in the photo in the documentation here. The program runs but repeats

Code:
Root mount waiting for : usbus0
usbd_setup_device_desc : getting device descriptor at addr 1 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT

several times until it prints out some information about the two 16GB drives and hangs there for several minutes until it ends with
Code:
Mounting from msdosfs :/dev/msdosfs/FreeMAS failed with error 19

Loader variables:
   vfs.root.mountfrom=msdosfs :/dev/msdosfs/FreeNAS

Manual root filesystem specification:
   <fstype> :<device> [options]
			 Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
			 and with the specified (optional) option list.

eg.  ufs :/dev/da0s1a
				zfs :tank
				cd9660 :/dev/cd0 ro
					   (which is equivalent to : mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0 /)

?							  List valid disk boot devices
.							   Yield 1 second (for background tasks)
<empty line>		Abort manual input

mountroot> 

and I have to force shutdown/restart the system. This obviously looks like a text prompt but I cannot type anything (no text appears after keyboard inputs).

Any help would be much appreciated

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
How are you creating the boot device? Can you disconnect all the HDD and try booting it up? Your hardware is going to give you problems so I'd think about changing it in the long run.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Xudomus

Cadet
The boot device was made using Rufus (took a few times, as it kept having issues reading the ISO), is there something else you'd recommend?

I know the hardware isn't great, for the drives at least, I know that you need cannot increase the physical number of disks after creating the vdev but I wanted 6 and didn't have the budget for 3 more 4TB drives right now. As for the rest, again, budget wins out. I'll replace it with something more up-to-date when I can afford it

Xudomus

Cadet
The documentation suggests Rufus though...you guys may want to ammend that. Either way, spent the last few hours trying with both Image Writer and the Windows utility and neither of them are succeeding to write the .ISO to any of the 5 different USB drives I've tried. I'll keep trying them and hopefully one will make it through.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The documentation suggests Rufus though...you guys may want to amend that. Either way, spent the last few hours trying with both Image Writer and the Windows utility and neither of them are succeeding to write the .ISO to any of the 5 different USB drives I've tried. I'll keep trying them and hopefully one will make it through.
What is the error?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I think I tested Rufus at one point, and it worked, but only when "dd mode" was selected.

Xudomus

Cadet
What is the error?
The Windows utility will load the .iso to 99% and fail. I guess this is a common enough occurrence as I was able to find plenty of threads/suggestions to get it working (none of which worked by the way). As for the Win32 Disk Imager, it successfully "wrote" the .iso to the USB on almost every occasion, but my hardware never recognized it as bootable. I kept trying to use the DDImage mode of Rufus, but I'm not sure how to get an .img file for 11.0

CraigD

Patron
Try selecting boot from HDD-USB and not USB drive in the BIOS

I found this out the hard way, over 5 hours trying to get FreeNAS onto an old Q6600 test rig

Xudomus

Cadet
Alright so I got the Windows utility to write the iso just fine (turns out failing on 99% means everything copied successfully, but maybe something else didn't work?), but now after booting I'm still getting stuck at the same point. Not sure what to try next...

pschatz100

Guru
I am confused as to what you are doing, and I don't understand why you would get any error related to ms-dos once you are able to boot the FreeNAS installer. And I would not agree that a Windows utility which loads the iso to 99% then failed means you have a usable boot drive.

Just for the sake of clarity, you are not trying to install FreeNAS onto the same USB drive that you booted from to run the installer. Correct?

I would try using Win32DiskImager to load the iso to a flash drive. That is what I use. If it gives you any error at all, then try reformatting the flash drive (a Windows quick format will do) and run Win32DiskImager again. If it runs to completion, then you have a bootable FreeNAS installer.

Assuming your Gigabyte motherboard is capable of booting from the USB flash drive (may have to change some bios settings on the Gigabyte board to enable this), booting from the installer will give you the menu to install FreeNAS. Select your destination drive for FreeNAS and follow the instructions. ANY errors along the way are not good.

After you create the FreeNAS disk, you can remove the installer and boot from the FreeNAS drive. You may have to go back into the bios settings of your motherboard and select the FreeNAS disk as the boot drive - I am not familiar with your motherboard.

It is all pretty straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.