Error getting space message when importing 7.3 drives to 9.2.1.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinu

Dabbler
Hey all.

So I finally decided to update FREENAS today from 7.3 to 9.2.1.9. I won't be upgrading to 9.3 until I get better hardware. Anyway, I tried importing my drives, which were simply formatted under the UFS file system, not arrays, just individual drives, but I keep getting errors when viewing them. Error getting available space and eorror getting total space under the 'Available' and 'Size' columns respectively. I've been using FREENAS for year but I've never really delved into things as I should have, so I'm really at a loss as to how to fix this problem. Read a couple thread where users had similar issues but they used Raid arrays and formatted their drives in ZFS. So I'm unsure as to which guide to follow.

Any help would be appreciated.

pschatz100

Guru
It would be helpful if you would provide a description of your hardware along with a detailed description of the errors you are getting. Just saying "I get errors and it doesn't work properly" is not much information to go on.

If you don't have sufficient hardware, why are you updating now? You might as well wait a little longer and do the job properly.

Shinu

Dabbler
I kinda did give a detailed description of the errors I got. 'Error getting available space' and 'error getting total space' under the 'Available' and 'Size' columns respectively. I've attached a screenshot that someone else posted to show the error. It's identical to what I get.

I held back on updating for years because of my low-end hardware. AMD Sempron 64 3200+, 2gb ram, 8 x 3tb WD Green drives, 2 x 2tb WD Green drives (all formatted in UFS), 500w psu. But I got an error recently and couldn't find the old image file so I decided to try updating now.

Attachments

• freenas1.jpg
    freenas1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 201

zambanini

Patron
2gb ram??? you need much more. btw: UFS will only work till freenas 9.2.x

Shinu

Dabbler
Yea I realize that I need a lot more. So is that the definite reason as to why I'm getting the error? I know performance would be crappy, but is it normal that I get the error too?

gpsguy

As zambanini already said UFS isn't supported in FreeNAS 9.3.

For updates to your 7.x version head over to www.nas4free.org.

Sent from my phone

Shinu

Dabbler
I'm not on 9.3. I said in the first post that I won't be updating to that version until I upgrade my hardware and I'm on 9.2.1.9 right now.

gpsguy

Sorry, misread your message on my phone. I still would suggest you visit nas4free for support/upgrades of your current OS.

If you want to try FreeNAS start with the oldest 8.x version and do incremental upgrades.

Sent from my phone

Shinu

Dabbler
No worries. I've downloaded the latest version of Nas4Free and I'll give it a try. Hopefully it will work out for me. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.