Error Getting Available Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

wachen

Dabbler
Hi all,
I am running 8.3.0-Release-x64 with 5x1TB RAIDZ1.

I was in the process of replacing the 1TB drives with 2TB drives by following instructions of "Replacing Drives to Grow ZFS Pool" section in the manual.

Replacing the first disk was successful. The resilvering took about 4 hours.

But after I took the 2nd disk offline, shut down the system and replace it with a 2TB drive, I am now getting "Error getting available space" message under the Storage tab in the GUI. When I look at Volume Status all I am getting is "Sorry, an error occurred".

I am a noob at this. So, any help is greatly appreciated.

Warren

wachen

Dabbler
I did some further search and found a thread discussing similar problem. The solution was to upgrade to 9.2.

I will go ahead and do this. My question though is this:
With 1 disk offline, can I still do a fresh install of 9.2.1.1 and do "Auto Import Volume" after the fresh install?
Can I do an upgrade install via GUI with 1 disk offline?
If not, is there a way to bring the same offline disk back online and do the install afterwards?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Warren

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What thread said the solution was to upgrade to 9.2. I'm unaware of ANY bug that is anything remotely as serious as what you are claiming.

The fact that it says error getting available space means your pool isn't mounting. So that begs the question of "why". Either you just lost your pool for some reason, or you've got a disk accidentally unplugged, wrong disk pulled, etc and all you need to do is get enough devices attached to get the pool to mount.

Can you post the output of "zpool import", "zpool status" , "cancontrol devlist" in pastebin please?

And don't upgrade or anything yet. You are in a seriously bad way if the pool isn't mounting and your drives ARE all attached.

wachen

Dabbler
Cyberjock,
Thanks for the reply.

When I read the part about "disk accidentally unplugged, wrong disk pulled, etc.", I got that sinking feeling in my stomach, hoping it would not be one of these stupid reasons.

Well, what do you know, I pulled the wrong disk! How embarrassing!

I guess, on the bright side, it was not because of accidentally unplugged disk.
Thanks again for the help. You saved me from doing a whole lot of unnecessary work.

Warren

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Now you see why I always always ALWAYS recommend people do a shutdown when replacing disks and not hot-swap. If you had pulled the wrong disk with the pool online the outcome would have been... undesirable.

Starpulkka

Contributor
There is additional info why not recommend hotswap for home (im sure gods of this forum says thats not true) that theres cheap rack cases out there if you hot swap your 3 or 4Tb hdd it might burn you hdd's in same backplane an instant when you plugin new hdd on it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is additional info why not recommend hotswap for home (im sure gods of this forum says thats not true) that theres cheap rack cases out there if you hot swap your 3 or 4Tb hdd it might burn you hdd's in same backplane an instant when you plugin new hdd on it.

Sure, but that's not a problem with FreeNAS. And if you are buying server-grade stuff you should never be encountering that problem. I know exactly what you are talking about, I own some of that hardware(but my revision fixed that problem). And I wouldn't call that "user error" either(except that you were in error to buy such crap).

Status
Not open for further replies.