error: compression algorithm 103 not supported

Michael Aos

Dabbler
Anyone seen this yet? Updated to TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3.

Grub loading..
Welcome to GRUB!

error: compression algorithm 103 not supported

1707696375286.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's mostly noise, though it does seem to occasionally be a problem - but as long as your system boots, there's nothing to worry about. Just GRUB being GRUB, making people miserable.

Michael Aos

Dabbler
That's mostly noise, though it does seem to occasionally be a problem - but as long as your system boots, there's nothing to worry about. Just GRUB being GRUB, making people miserable.
Yeah, I should have mentioned - not booting....

I updated the first system to TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3 just fine, but the second one just hangs here.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So you drew the sort straw... It's weird because I keep seeing this with GRUB, apparently misreading snapshots? But then it ignores the errors?

The easiest solution is to reinstall. Before you nuke the boot device, do you have a backup of your config? You'll want that handy first - so we'll need to go fishing for it if you don't.

Alternatively, if you want to take matters into your own hands and despise GRUB, you could instead use ZFS Boot Menu, which has the considerable advantage of not requiring GRUB's byzantine configuration - just plop the executable down in the EFI System Partition, boot to it, and it should automagically find the TrueNAS install.

Michael Aos

Dabbler
Was greeted to this on the remote-console this morning:
1707753324035.png

But then when I select anything, I get this:
1707753344886.png

Maybe I'll replace the boot disk and reinstall.

I'll have to check out that ZFS Boot Menu at some point too.

Michael Aos

Dabbler
So you drew the sort straw... It's weird because I keep seeing this with GRUB, apparently misreading snapshots? But then it ignores the errors?

The easiest solution is to reinstall. Before you nuke the boot device, do you have a backup of your config?
Fortunately I was prompted to save the config before installing the update.

Did a new install of TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3 and restored the config. All good.
--

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not a bad outcome. I have a server at work that's in that "nobody dares to touch it" state for fear of downtime, which I have to manually boot by telling GRUB at runtime what to do. Not fun, the team has an email with the commands and they're printed out and stuck onto the rack KVM unit. All because GRUB is ridiculous.