Enabling ipv6 router advertisement in a jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan_rw

Guru
Hi.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get the jails epair device to accept an ipv6 ip from an already enabled and working router advertisement daemon?

My entire home network is ipv6 enabled through a sixxs tunnel. The tunnel is handled by my router (dd-wrt) which runs radvd for ipv6 router advertisements. Usually it's a matter of selecting "autoconfigure ipv6" in any os, and it'll get an ip from radvd, set the default route, etc. I don't see how to do that in a jail.

This is for freenas 9.1. For 8.3, I had previously got it to work manually by setting this in rc.conf inside the jail:

Code:
ipv6_enable="YES"
ipv6_network_interfaces="epair0b"

And by running this inside the jail after the jail started:

Code:
/etc/rc.d/network_ipv6 start

This command doesn't seem to exist in 9.1.

There might have also been some sysctl's I needed to set. I don't remember now, and I don't have any more freenas 8.3 machines to check the old jail with.

I've tried googling about it, but everything I find is specific to freebsd. I'm unaware of the various ways of doing things in freebsd and how they relate to how they're done in freenas.

I realize the gui doesn't support autoconf on ipv6. Does anybody have a quick and dirty "do this" every time the jail is started?

This is a port jail, with vimage enabled. NAT deselected of course. Statically assigned ipv4 address.

Thanks.

D

dlavigne

Regarding the proper FreeBSD procedure, can you also ask at forums.freebsd.org to see if anyone knows how to do this in a 9.x jail? If you get an answer, please post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.