Eaton IPP Software

Mitch2004

Dabbler
Hey Everyone

Has anyone seen or is currently using the Eaton Intelligent Power Protector software (Eaton IPP) to shut down TrueNAS from a separate machine (Running Eaton IPP) after a certain percentage is reached on the UPS?

At the moment, I have an Eaton 5SX hooked into TrueNAS Scale via a USB Cable and configured to shut down at a certain point.
How I have it configured currently through TrueNAS works but I would like more visibility over the UPS and from what I can tell TrueNAS cant provide the kind of insight or control I am after

I did look at NUT but this UPS does not have network connectivity.

chuck32

Guru
Can you clarify what exactly you want to achieve? You can configure many things related to the UPS and how to shut down in truenas itself. What kind of visibility are you after?

As for UPSNUT, truenas can act as a server if this relevant to you, not Network connectivity required on the UPS itself.
I use it to gracefully shutdown VMs way before the server itself shutsdown.

Last edited:

Mitch2004

Dabbler
Can you clarify what exactly you want to achieve? You can configure many things related to the UPS and how to shut down in truenas itself. What kind of visibility are you after?

As for UPS, truenas can act as a server if this relevant to you, not Network connectivity required on the UPS itself.
I use it to gracefully shutdown VMs way before the server itself shutsdown.
Hi Chuck

The way I have it configured at the moment is in the event of a power blackout TrueNAS Shutsdown within 10 minutes so the remaining power in the UPS is able to power my gateway, Cameras, Primary Domain Controller(PDC) and a few other critical devices,

Essentially what I am trying to achieve is to shut TrueNAS Scale from my PDC located on a separate machine through the Eaton IPP software or similar software, So I can effectively do a staged shutdown of my network through the PDC, keeping all the reports of what is happening throughout the blackout and what devices were triggered to shutdown.
Where at the moment, TrueNAS is only the software keeping reports on the UPS, so when it shuts down, I lose all reporting

By having the UPS controlled by the PDC I can have reports still going on all the way up to when the UPS is fully depleted

with TrueNAS running I have 30 minutes of runtime, without TrueNAS running run time jumps up to about 40 - 50 minutes

Does this kind of make sense?

sretalla