UPS configuration with Eaton M2 Card and TrueNAS

Mischfabrik

Cadet
Hi,
unfortunately I am not the absolute network crack, so I need help here.
I want to connect my Eaton 9PX (with M2 Card) to TrueNAS so that TrueNAS shuts down in the event of a power failure.
Either via UPS or any other way.
How should I configure TrueNAS and Eaton with UPS? Unfortunately, I just can't get it to work. Thanks for your help.

The m2 card is configured on the Eaton and of course I have access to the WebGui.

asap2go

Patron
Connect your ups to the truenas machine via USB.
Then go to settings -> services -> ups -> enable it.
Click edit.
Driver(or whatever it is called) should be set to Eaton ups 5 9PX USB port (usbhid-ups) or whatever your model is. Name can be whatever you like.
In the settings below tell truenas to shutdown if ups reaches low battery.
Save.

PhilD13

Patron
This is what I did for my APC over the network. In System> Services > UPS
Set Identifier to a short and easy name like servups
UPS Set ups mode to master
Find the SNMP driver for the Eaton ups you have or if there no driver you can try a generic one or a different manufactures one that is similar.
Set the IP address is the address of the ups IP card
Set the Monitor user to the user for the cards login and the Monitor password to the password for the UPS IP cards user
I left the checkbox for Remote Monitor checked.
Then save the changes and enable the UPS service
If it is working you won't get any error messages about it not working but as far as I can tell (in Bluefin) no other way via the GUI to tell if it is working. I think you get an email if the server goes on UPS but I don't suggest yanking the cord to see. At least not until you verify from the cammand line it's communicating.

You can check if the if the UPS is connected to the server and if it is responding by using the command below from the System >Shell
upsc <your ups name>@localhost
Where the name is the name you entered as the Identifier. The command will list a bunch of stuff about the UPS if the UPS and server are communicating.

Mischfabrik

Cadet
Hey PhilD13, thanks!
I followed your instructions and i can activate ups without an error message. However, the control via shell does not work. Any idea?

1699866089137.png

I use TrueNAS Scale 22.12.4.2

greets benny

Last edited:

Mischfabrik

Cadet
Ok i changed the driver! Now it worked!!!! I use the M2 Card in my Eaton USP and i use the driver: Eaton ups 5 BladeUPS (SNMP) ConnectUPS Web/SNMP Card (snmp-ups, experimental) / Powerware ups 5 BladeUPS (SNMP) ConnectUPS Web/SNMP Card (snmp-ups, experimental)

PhilD13

Patron
Great!