Downloading Encryption key works differently un U11.3

bsodmike

Dabbler
Hi all,

The 11.3 manual states that under 'Encryption Options', it should list 'Encryption Key/Passphrase' - However, my system does not have that.

I only have, these options -
Screenshot 2020-02-09 at 12.55.52.png

Found that I need to either click on Reset keys, which shows a popup to download the new 'backup key', or go to System > General > Save Config and opt to save encryption keys there as well.

The online manual seems to be out of date?

Thanks.

Alecmascot

Guru
Open a bug report or nothing will be done.

ixion

Dabbler
Hi all,

The 11.3 manual states that under 'Encryption Options', it should list 'Encryption Key/Passphrase' - However, my system does not have that.

I only have, these options -
View attachment 35619

Found that I need to either click on Reset keys, which shows a popup to download the new 'backup key', or go to System > General > Save Config and opt to save encryption keys there as well.

The online manual seems to be out of date?

Thanks.

The "Encryption Key/Passphrase" option will not show up if the System Dataset is on the same encrypted pool. If you move the System Dataset to another pool, then the option will appear. This is by design but not very obvious. The GUI should tell you. Also, it's not a good idea to put the System Dataset on the boot pool if you are using USB stick for your boot pool, because logs and constant writes are occurring and your USB stick will die quickly.