Replacing an Encrypted drive procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoB

Dabbler
Hi Folks,

I had to resilver one of my encrypted drive and I did follow the proceudre in the documentation, but at stage 2. I don't have the "create passphrase" button, only a "change passphrase" button which I did use.

I am wrong somewhere , or is it an error in the manual (that I'd be proud to report as my small contribution:) ?

MoB

Extract from manual:

8.1.10.1. Replacing an Encrypted Drive

If the ZFS pool is encrypted, additional steps are needed when replacing a failed drive.

First, make sure that a passphrase has been set using the instructions in Encryption before attempting to replace the failed drive. Then, follow the steps 1 and 2 as described above. During step 3, you will be prompted to input and confirm the passphrase for the pool. Enter this information then click the “Replace Disk” button. Wait until the resilvering is complete.

Next, restore the encryption keys to the pool. If the following additional steps are not performed before the next reboot, you may lose access to the pool permanently.

1. Highlight the pool that contains the disk you just replaced and click the “Encryption Re-key” button in the GUI. You will need to enter the root password.
  2. Highlight the pool that contains the disk you just replaced and click the “Create Passphrase” button and enter the new passphrase. You can reuse the old passphrase if desired.
  3. Highlight the pool that contains the disk you just replaced and click the “Download Key” button in order to save the new encryption key. Since the old key will no longer function, any old keys can be safely discarded.
  4. Highlight the pool that contains the disk you just replaced and click the “Add Recovery Key” button in order to save the new recovery key. The old recovery key will no longer function, so it can be safely discarded.

MoB

Dabbler
This is in Freenas 9.2. Either 9.2 or 9.3 manual refer to the same procedure.

D

dlavigne

I'll double-check the 9.3 docs to make sure the screenshots match the procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.