how to test if encryption key works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

odoyle

Explorer
Hi all,
I recently had to replace a disk on an encrypted volume and I followed the steps in the manual (for 9.3) including generating and downloading new encryption key and recovery key. How do I test that the downloaded keys do what they are supposed? When I rebooted, all I needed was the passphrase but I want to make sure I have the proper keys etc downloaded as backup.

Thanks

ovizii

Patron
not 100% sure but when you enter the passphrase and it works, in the background the encryption key stored on your boot device is used. you might search this forum to find out where it is stored, download a copy and compare it to the one you downloaded

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
not 100% sure but when you enter the passphrase and it works, in the background the encryption key stored on your boot device is used. you might search this forum to find out where it is stored, download a copy and compare it to the one you downloaded
They'll be different. The key used with the password is different from the so-called recovery key, which does not require a password.

If you want to test your recovery keys, you can do so with a fresh install.

Status
Not open for further replies.