Does Anyone Know What Type of Drive Cage Comes in the FreeNAS Mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

storage-junkie

Dabbler
I got the supermicro superchassis, but it comes with drive caddies. I believe the FreeNas Mini comes with drive bays that don't require caddies. I'm not sure what brand of drive cage they're using, does anyone here know?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 215

Redcoat

MVP
The FreeNAS mini I have uses caddies by Abelcom (the chassis manufacturer). There was another question along these lines a few weeks ago - I looked at the pics of the caddies for the Supermicro case (looks like it's by Abelcom also ...) and they didn't look the same - the front fascia of the caddies was different but the two "wings" to which the drives are screwed looked like they may have been the same. But who knows about the fidelity of illustrations (they were not photographs, but line drawings) in manuals (or even photos in a lot of cases).

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I got the supermicro superchassis, but it comes with drive caddies. I believe the FreeNas Mini comes with drive bays that don't require caddies. I'm not sure what brand of drive cage they're using, does anyone here know?
The chassis used by iXsystems to build the FreeNAS Mini is not a Supermicro chassis. Why do you ask?

storage-junkie

Dabbler
I was looking for a trayless drive cage to use instead of the one that comes with the supermicro. I’ve used icydock cages on a couple of other servers I’ve built, but I don’t think they will fit in this case.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I was looking for a trayless drive cage to use instead of the one that comes with the supermicro. I’ve used icydock cages on a couple of other servers I’ve built, but I don’t think they will fit in this case.
I don't think Supermicro does trayless. I have not seen any. The trays make for a more secure mount and you shouldn't be swapping the drives in and out ofen.

tvsjr

Guru
Me either. I wouldn't want a trayless arrangement... vibration, things coming unplugged, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.