FreeNAS Mini or FreeNAS Mini XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to deploy a third FreeNAS mini and I am thinking a Z2 would be nice for safety reasons. The 4 drive mini does not really have enough drives for Z2 so I am looking at the FreeNAS mini XL with 8 drive slots. Here is where I am hoping a couple of you that have the XL might chime in? This mini will be a backup repository for Acronis Backup just as the first two are. I will be backing up Windows servers.

My plan calls for six 6TB SATA HDDs. Should I bite the bullet and fill the mini up with eight HDDs?

My fiber network throughout town is 100Mb so I probably don't need more speed than what the read & write cache SSDs provide but is there anything anyone would recommend?

Is the latest and greatest production FreeNAS the one most of you recommend?

Thanks in advance :)

Nick2253

Wizard
It's really going to depend on your space needs. How much data do you need to store?

With only 100Mbps, you really won't need read/write cache drives. Especially if this system is only used as a backup target.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Since you are now considering buying a third unit, what about buying a larger chassis and just add vdevs to the pool as you need to grow capacity?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

LTCM

Dabbler
Since you are now considering buying a third unit, what about buying a larger chassis and just add vdevs to the pool as you need to grow capacity?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Sounds like the units might be at separate locations or storing data for different clients who want dedicated metal.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

tvsjr

Guru
IMO, the Minis are expensive for what they are. If you want a turnkey solution, they're great... but you can build a more capable system for less money.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
IMO, the Minis are expensive for what they are. If you want a turnkey solution, they're great... but you can build a more capable system for less money.
While that is absolutely true, I know that where I work, and likely many other business environments, the management is not going to let you build a server. I suggested it one time and the look I got, I don't know how to describe it.

tvsjr

Guru
Ha, I'm in the middle of doing this right now. Funny, it seems you can't just turn-key buy a box with 8 GPUs in it, unless you want Teslas at $9K/card. Sigh...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Ha, I'm in the middle of doing this right now. Funny, it seems you can't just turn-key buy a box with 8 GPUs in it, unless you want Teslas at $9K/card. Sigh...
It is like this Supermicro chassis:
https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/6048/SSG-6048R-E1CR60N.cfm
I was talking with an engineer at one of the resellers about ordering one of these. Even the reseller must get those from Supermicro preconfigured. They can't get a bare-bones system and configure it themselves. Supermicro only sells it preconfigured and one of the things you are required to order is a minimum of 30 hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.