Do you know how to start a virtual machine (win10) without going through the Truenas web interface.

Hello
I am looking to start a virtual machine (win10) without going through the Truenas web interface.
I use the remote desktop of window to control it.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Viandoriel

Dabbler
Meanwhile we got lots of updates for TrueNAS and I was also hoping to find a solution for this. Something like WOL?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I am looking to start a virtual machine (win10) without going through the Truenas web interface.
I use the remote desktop of window to control it.
Unless you're prepared to use a script to call the API, you're out of options...

I was also hoping to find a solution for this. Something like WOL?
You can't wake a not-running guest from a WOL magic packet as there's nothing there to listen for it.

Somebody could probably write something to listen to the network for a WOL packet and then launch a script to call the API and start a guest, but that would not then be able to listen on the same IP as the WOL listener... the whole thing is nonsense from the start.

LarsR

Guru
you can use api calls to start a vm, there's documentation in the API-Docs, but i never used it myself.

vm.start
Arguments:
{ "type": "integer", "_name_": "id", "title": "id" }
{ "type": "object", "properties": { "overcommit": { "type": "boolean", "_name_": "overcommit", "title": "overcommit", "default": false, "_required_": false } }, "additionalProperties": false, "_name_": "options", "title": "options", "default": {}, "_attrs_order_": [ "overcommit" ] }
Start a VM.
options.overcommit defaults to false, meaning VMs are not allowed to start if there is not enough available memory to hold all configured VMs. If true, VM starts even if there is not enough memory for all configured VMs.
Error codes:
ENOMEM(12): not enough free memory to run the VM without overcommit

sretalla