failed to start: vm_create: Device not configured

zimmere

Cadet
Hello, during the configuration of Freenas, I wanted to set up a virtual machine in order to make Freenas a multiple server. So I start by going through the different steps of creating one of my virtual machines.

Once created, I look to execute it, and I get an error message explaining that the devices are not configure as you can see on the images below.

Screenshot_20190607_210519.png

How to solve this problem of the execution of the virtual machine. because I don’t really understand this type of problem. Indeed you can see if below that Freenas create devices automatically at the time of configuration if I’m not mistaken. And on top of all that, when I see messages about python I have to admit that it makes me a little scared.

Screenshot_20190607_211615.png

Thank you in advance if you can help me with this kind of problem.

hassan.syed

Cadet
I am having the same issue. My cpu supports virtualization. I am using Cisco chasis 5108 Please find below mentioned information:
grep VT-x /var/run/dmesg.boot
VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID
grep POPCNT /var/run/dmesg.boot
Features2=0xe3fa3223<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,VMX,SSSE3,FMA,CX16,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,F16C,RDRAND,HV>

Errors:
Exception Value: [EFAULT] VM centos failed to start: vm_create: Device not configured
Exception Location: /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py
raceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
42. response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
249. response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
163. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/vm/views.py" in start
128. c.call('vm.start', id)
File "./freenasUI/vm/views.py" in start
128. c.call('vm.start', id)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py" in call
454. raise ClientException(c.error, c.errno, c.trace, c.extra)

Exception Type: ClientException at /legacy/vm/start/6/

Moreover I cannot give more than 1 cpu to VMs.

hassan.syed

Cadet
I am using FreeNAS-11.2-U5 but I have also tested on FreeNAS-11.2-U5 but the result was same.

D

dlavigne

Has anyone reported this at bugs.ixsystems.com? If so, what is the issue number?

kappclark

Explorer
************ Same problem here --just tried creating VM in Freenas 11.3

I have Ryzen 2200G running latest freenas with 16GB on MSI B450M MB.

Updated bios to latest version ... did not see any settings for setting virtualization features ... confused here ---
it might not fly with the Ryzen (and that's fine) -- but long searches seem to say Ryzen not the best platform for virtual machines (or Freenas for that matter)..it looks like a python issue ??

..here is what I get for a Ubuntu VM:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 130, in call_method
io_thread=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1077, in _call
return await methodobj(*args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 961, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 1012, in start
await self._manager.start(vm)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 53, in start
list(done)[0].result()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 348, in run
raise CallError(f'VM {self.vm["name"]} failed to start: {output}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] VM Linux failed to start: vm_create: Device not configured

************** --- update ---*****PROBLEM SOLVED **
Added 16 GB memory, went back into bios --- under cpu features, I saw SVM - which was not enabled --- after enabling that, the VM started with no error ---

Last edited: