DLNA not seeing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJC1288

Cadet
Hi all

My miniDLNA plugin is not letting me see the files that are inside it. All of the solutions I have searched have not been related to my problem. Here are the facts:

The mount is done correctly. I can navigate to my /media folder and the files are there.
The files don't show up in XBOX or XBMC.
The files showed up at one point. The first time I made the jail. Then after I found out that you need to restart the DLNA to refresh the library (which seems like a huge oversight IMO), I restarted and the files could not be seen again.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

VJC1288

Cadet
Update: I've figured out that the data set that I'm trying to set the miniDLNA to look at needs to have its permissions set for others to Read and Execute. But in this dataset I do not want to do that. Is there any other solution to this, like making a user for miniDLNA to use that I can allow to access this dataset? Or is it possible to make a mount point to this dataset with different permissions?

joeschmuck

Old Man
In the MiniDLNA setup, do you have a Model and Serial number set? If not, make something up like "123", doesn't matter. Then restart MiniDLNA.

If it works, please post that it fixed it. I don't have an XBox but I've seen this problem before and I'm trying to get confirmation of the fix.

VJC1288

Cadet
Nope, that did not work.

As I noted in the update, the problem is the permissions. All I have to do is figure out a workaround since I don't want the media files to be accessible to everyone, just miniDLNA.

joeschmuck

Old Man
One possible solution is to create a separate dataset within your pool for media (what I do myself) and do not create a CIFS share for it. You can still have a mount point for MiniDLNA to that dataset and you can leave the files having full access. You can then create a share to that dataset based on who you would like to have access to it.

VJC1288

Cadet
That seems to be an interesting work around. Would giving that dataset full permissions bring up any security issues?

EDIT: The above seems to be essentially what I am doing currently. So it won't really solve my issue. However, one thing I did try is giving the nobody user the auxiliary group 'home' which is the group that owns the media files. Why does this not work? Does miniDLNA use nobody user?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Apparently the above is not what you are doing because it works perfectly. I have a dataset only used for movies. I deleted the CIFS share. MiniDLNA still has access to it but I cannot access the files over the network directly. This works and it's not a security risk. It is what you asked for.

VJC1288

Cadet
If I do it that way, the users will not see the files over the network then. I want specific users to be able to see the files as they can now, but I also want miniDLNA to be able to access it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.