Disk space/configuration upgrade suggestions

YujiTFD

Dabbler
Good day, everyone!

Currently I'm hosting 3 x MIRROR | 2 wide | 5.46 TiB with 79.4% used capacity. I'm not sure if "80% rule" is still applicable, but situation kinda annoys me regardless. My idea is to add/reform space without loosing (it's critical) performance over 10 Gbps network; increased performance (if possible) would be even better.

I can either add 2 more drives, making it 4 x MIRROR (I assume I can I use drives of larger capacity than current 6 TBs), but would it be better to redo VDEVs for better performance and stability? Or redoing VDEVs I'm definitely loosing either performance or stability, hence, adding more drives is the only way? It's just pains me to have 32 TiB of space and be able to use only half of it. Still, performance is the cornerstone.

My rig is in my sig, need suggestions, would you kindly.

P.S. I'm also thinking to move from ESXi to Proxmox, does it has any sense?
P.P.S. Would also appreciate HDD models suggestions.

danb35

Hall of Famer
4 x MIRROR (I assume I can I use drives of larger capacity than current 6 TBs
Yes, you can use disks of any size you like. The GUI may squawk about mismatched vdevs, but it will let you do this.
performance is the cornerstone.
If performance is key, particularly IOPS, mirrors are going to be the only way to go.

YujiTFD

Dabbler
If performance is key, particularly IOPS, mirrors are going to be the only way to go.
Let me clarify: regardless of setup, it's only a home lab with file storage. I do not share my library online, it's for family use only: file archive and video collection, so basicly I need maximum transfer speed between my PC and the NAS, which currently is about 350-400 MB/s write speed average, peaking at ~600-650 MB/s in certain situations (my other devices are not 10 Gbps-enabled). I assume I won't be seeing larger speeds unless SSDs are used, so question is: will RAIDZ1 give me about same level of speed and reliability or will they degrade inevitably?