Disable Replication Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catsrules

Dabbler
I looked around and couldn't see a way to disable alerts for a replication task. I don't mean disable alert for a day, I want it turned off completely, so it will never alert me.

The story why, maybe there is a better option.
First off this is a home NAS, I have a new server with 6TB storage, that is running 24/7 this one is my main server. I decided I wanted an extra backup for a few important folders So I setup an old poweredge server that I had laying around to act as a server for replication. Now this old poweredge, as two Xenon power suckers for processors, the thing cost $50 a month to run. So I have it setup to turn on once a week stay on for 2 hours then auto shutdown. Unfortunately Freenas is very concerned because it can't replicate so it emails me every 20 minutes, and it is driving me crazy. I am about to disable email completely, but I don't want to do that. because I need notifications for update or if something goes wrong.

The only way I can find to stop the email is disable the replication task, but then replication doesn't work.

Any ideas?

D

dlavigne

I'm assuming that checking the box in alerts didn't disable the email alerts? If not, you'll have to decide to either ignore that part of the emails, disable the replication task, or come up with a different strategy for backing up those files. Failed replication is usually a big deal and something admins want to know about.

Catsrules

Dabbler
I'm assuming that checking the box in alerts didn't disable the email alerts? If not, you'll have to decide to either ignore that part of the emails, disable the replication task, or come up with a different strategy for backing up those files. Failed replication is usually a big deal and something admins want to know about.

Drat I was afraid you were going to say that.

Correct unchecking the box in alerts didn't help.

Is there a way to run a replication task once a week? I saw the option for time a day, (obviously for turning it off during work hours), but nothing beyond that.

Last edited:

andrwhmmr

Dabbler
Yes, this thread is old. But for the next soul searching for a solution to this Problem:

-Set your Replication Start Time to 01:00 AM and End Time to 02:00 AM
-Wake your Replication Server at 0:55 AM (BIOS RTC or WOL)
-Create a Cronjob on your Replication Server to "shutdown -p" at 2:55 AM

This way you have the power sucking Replication Server only running for 3 Hours. And no alerts from your main Freenas Server because it does not try to reach the Replication Server except from 01:00 AM to 02:00 AM.

But be sure to check if a 3 hour window is enough for your daily replication!

Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.