SOLVED Destroy a dataset to free up some space for another dataset on the same volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sic79

Cadet
Hi,

Since working with freenas is new to me I am a bit unsure how this works so here it goes.

When I first created one of my volumes some time ago I also created 3 datasets. Now I wonder if I could ”destroy” 2 of them to free up some hdd space and then resize the remaining one. Or do I have to destroy all 3 and create a new one with all the free space?

Regards, Sic79

garm

Wizard
Datasets don’t have a “size” propert. All datasets have access to all the available storage in the pool. That is one of many beautiful things with ZFS. If there is data on the datasets, destroying them will free up the equivalent amount in the pool, making it available to other datasets.

sic79

Cadet
Datasets don’t have a “size” propert. All datasets have access to all the available storage in the pool. That is one of many beautiful things with ZFS. If there is data on the datasets, destroying them will free up the equivalent amount in the pool, making it available to other datasets.

Aha ok. Well that sounds great, simpler than I thought. Thanks for your answer @garm

Status
Not open for further replies.