Should be Simple...? Free Disk Space of zvol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmirage

Dabbler
I've been using FreeNAS in my home lab for a few years now and Love It! However despite searching for an answer to this time and time again of the last few years I've yet to find an answer.

Question: How can you view / monitor total free disk space remaining in a volume?

My configuration

I have a 6x2TB raidz2 volume configured in FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64

My main volume is /mnt/cloud configured for lz4 compresion listed at 1.06x

Within I have two ZFS data sets
/mnt/betoria.cloud/CIFS1 which contains ~1.3TB of data lz4 compression 1.05x
/mnt/betoria.cloud/CIFS2 which contains ~50MB of data lz4 compression 2.00x

I also have 3 iSCSI file extends
/mnt/betoria.cloud/iscsi1 configured for 2TB
/mnt/betoria.cloud/iscsi2 configured for 1TB
/mnt/betoria.cloud/iscsi3 configured for 100GB

ROUGH calculations say that raid array should have some where close to 8TB of space (there is metadata in ZFS and the issue of the OS not seeing 2TB but calculating the bits) but call it 6TB if we want to cover all those bases.

Assuming that when the iSCSI file extend is created it "reserves" or writes the entire file at once to appropriate size or at least reserves it from the OS perspective so its not counted as free space I am using approximatly 4.5TB of Data at WORST, if we dont count full immediate allocation for the iSCSI shares then its something close to 2.5TB.

Here is where I get lost every single time....

I go to Storage > Active Volumes

Name Used Available Size
cloud 985.9GiB 5.0TiB 5.9TiB
CIFS1 1.2TiB 5.0TiB 6.2TiB
CIFS2 27.7MiB 5.0TiB 5.0TiB

Available: So its listing total space available to the parent volume for each individual volume?

Size: It thinks the Size is the available space + the used space.... but they can't all use that 5TB...

Used Space with compression I guess maybe this could be accurate? How can I find the actual size of my parent zvol? If I can get that info (accurately) I can calculate the remaining space.

Yatti420

Wizard
There is an issue with reporting freespace with datasets/zvols in use.. Run "zfs list" to get a more accurate picture.. Client pcs wont show proper space etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.