Reclaiming freed space after deleting volume

ibrouting

Cadet
Hello!

First, let me say that I am a bit of a noob but have been turning to these forums for the last 2 years since we bought our Freenas Mini XL. All of you have been a huge help whether you know it or not! Now I am facing a bit of a weird issue. We have a Freenas Mini XL with 8 6TB drives that was split between VM storage and backups for our test lab. I deleted the VM storage volume as it is no longer needed but I need to reclaim the space for our backups. All of it can be in one Volume and pool but not sure how to reclaim the space? I would hate to have to destroy the existing data (roughly 4TB worth) and have to start all over.
Specs:
Interface 11.2-U6 on legacy
Freenas Mini XL Atom c2750, 32GB RAM, eight (8) 6 TB WD red
Under "Pools" I have 1 dataset (BCTSAN) showing 16.37TiB used 4.1TiB available
->Under that pool I have a dataset named "storage" showing the same
->Under that I have a zvol showing 14.88Tib used and 18.92Tib available
I am using RAIDZ2 and if my calculations are right about half of what should be free is showing?

Can I expand the "storage" zvol or dataset to use all the space or do I need to just flatten and start over?

Thank you!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Do you still have snapshots of the dataset you cleared out? remove the snapshots and your space will come back.

ibrouting

Cadet
Yes, it was a separate zvol. There were 2 zvol, one VM's and the other storage. I deleted the VM zvol and would like to use that space for storage.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Might just be a UI issue with it showing a value that isn't expected. But you did say the old UI ... that one's normally pretty good about that.

Can you ssh in and run zfs list -ro space -t all BCTSAN, pasting the output here inside of CODE tags?

Last edited:

ibrouting

Cadet
Thanks HoneyBadger. Here is the output:
output.jpg

I switched over to the new interface to see if there was any difference in reporting size and there is not. Both are identical.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Your USEDSNAP value is 0 all the way down so it's not a matter of a hidden snapshot. Can you enable SSH under Services so that you can directly copy and paste from an actual shell session? It's much easier to upload text instead of screenshots.

What does zpool status -v BCTSAN look like?