DEAD Freenas sys drive HELP???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LedaOhio

Cadet
Newbie here...

I have a friend and he lost his freenas system drive. He knows nothing about the version/system etc..

Not having used freenas in YEARS and After a Cram Session last night and this morning refreshing my knowledge a bit... And running freenas on VMware and a clean setup on a DX/4 box I have... My Question is...

I've installed the latest freenas on a usb stick and am wondering if it will recognize the 6 HD's he has installed in the box minus the freenas sys drive that died?

In Volume Manager.. Which should I select "IF" this new freenas USB I have loads up and does not know what the "old drives" are set to (Mirror. Stripe, Raid-Z/Z2)?

I just don't want to be fumbling around with it in front of him and like to be prepared best I can.

Thank you in advance.
LedaOhio

warri

Guru
FreeNAS 8 usually does not support installation on a drive, so maybe the old installation was actually Freenas 0.7?
If you are lucky, autoimporting the drives works from the FreeNAS 8 GUI - that's the first thing I would try. If auto import fails, you'll have to see if you can import something via CLI.

Do you know which file system he used? ZFS or UFS?

LedaOhio

Cadet
FreeNAS 8 usually does not support installation on a drive, so maybe the old installation was actually Freenas 0.7?
If you are lucky, autoimporting the drives works from the FreeNAS 8 GUI - that's the first thing I would try. If auto import fails, you'll have to see if you can import something via CLI.

Do you know which file system he used? ZFS or UFS?

No idea nor does he.. I was over there a few days ago long enough to see his NAS system and build his new Win7 system for him.
I tried to boot it and it failed.
It was getting late and he had to leave town a few days. Now he is back and wanting his NAS drive replaced. I did not even check if the NAS box has USB or if BIOS allows USB boot. So, I have v/8.3 on USB and a ROM.

Can't I just boot a v/8.3 of USB (or ROM) with the failed drive in there.. Then what? LOL
My BSD box has not been rebooted in years and I forget most of what I did installing everything. And Freenas works like a BSD GUI Router moreorless.

It is just one drive in his box that died... I'm at a loss!

*kicking Dirt*

warri

Guru
If there was no data on the sys drive you should be ok. Just boot with the FN 8.3 USB Stick and see if it can find any importable volumes.

Some commands you can try from CLI to see whats going on:
Code:
camcontrol devlist
glabel status
zpool import
zpool list
zpool status

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Keep in mind that FreeNAS .7 is not the same project as FreeNAS 8. ZFS is supported on both as well as UFS(but not some UFS configurations) so if "auto-import" doesn't work he almost certainly is/was using UFS. You might want to go to the NAS4Free forums to ask your questions there.

LedaOhio

Cadet
I am at the Box now booted off USB with 8.3 and Glabel status shows the drives as ufs/FreeNASs1, 2, 3. etc.
One listed as gotid/2834723847234 Boatlad of digits.

Logging in thru the ip I see the main 3gb vol and the other 3 drives.
It seems clear that it was 0.7.

So are you recommending to try Nas4Free off USB?

Please advise.

Leda

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd recommend you go try NAS4Free only because it's closer to FreeNAS .7. But do read the manuals and such as I don't know much of anything about NAS4Free except that it is the successor to FreeNAS .7.

Status
Not open for further replies.