Associating a plugin to a different jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

timelord726

Cadet
My friend set up a FreeNAS box with a few plugins and associated jails. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, the drive on which he had the OS installed suffered a failure, so he had to rebuild. All of his data is still there, including his old jails. But when he reinstalls the plugins, they create a new instance (for example, owncloud_2). I'm working with him to try and get these plugins running under their previous jails. Is there a way to install a plugin and have it associated with a different jail, or manually edit the configuration file that stores the association between plugin and jail and tell it to point to a different one?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
In FreeNAS9.3 you can upload plugins to an existing plugin jail. But if there's already a PBI installed to a jail I don't know if it's a good idea to try and overwrite it.

• Do the existing jails show up to FreeNAS?
  • Do the existing plugins show to FreeNAS?
  • What exactly are you trying to save from the old plugins/jail?
If all you are trying to do is have working plugins with the same setup as before you're best bet is to backup your old data-directories, and copy them over to new plugin installs.
  • Which plugins are you trying to setup?

timelord726

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. The existing jails show up in FreeNAS and can be started (and work), but the plugins don't show, nor do any of their controls or configurations. The ultimate goal is just to have those plugins working again with the same setup as before, as you say. I need to check on the list of plugins, but I believe ownCloud is one of them, probably Plex, and a couple of others.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'd just install new instances of each of the plugins. before starting them copy over each of their data-directories (which will have the programs metadata).

/media for owncloud
/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata for plex, but this should end up in /var/db/plexdata (this was changed in the latest version of the plex plugin)

Status
Not open for further replies.