Datasets, Permissions and Shares for Dummies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik3

Dabbler
Hi everybody,

I'm a prowd owner of my first self-built NAS. I have looked intensively at the documentation and around the Forum. However, I find setting up users, groups, datasets, permissions and shares quite difficult and confusing.

From this thread

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-set-up-example-for-dummies-visual-map.10163/

I have the impression that this is common among newbies. However, the thread was closed as it is not "relevant" to 9.2x / 9.3 anymore. Thus, it would be awesome to get a new guide by somebody who has already been there. It's a bit frustrating having the thing sit in your basement and not doing anything (yet)...

Thanks in advance!
Mike

PS: I have also seen the video here but it does not go into enough detail if you are completely new to FreeNAS

D

dlavigne

FreeNAS 9.3 includes a wizard for making shares that should "just work". Manual share creation has also been simplified: for example, select the type of share when creating the dataset and it will be created with the correct default permissions. Things to keep in mind:

- make sure the type of dataset matches the type of share
- don't muck with the Windows permissions on the freenas side; keep the defaults that came with the dataset and fine-tune the permissions on the Windows side
- shares shouldn't start to get complex until you start integrating with a directory service

Status
Not open for further replies.