Data set suddenly does not show data

Status
Not open for further replies.

heavenhated

Dabbler
Hi All,

I created Volume1 is a 3 disk, ada0-ada1-ada2, raidz1 array made up of 2Tb local disks. I had created 5 data sets to store different data information and allocated size while creating the same.

I have the following data sets

Office
Videos
Soaps
Music
Others

Today was trying to do MINIDLNA and since i was unable to read all the above 4 data sets through DLNA i decided to move some required files into a specific data set and mount it with DLNA Media folder i created for sharing.

Made the following error or known mistakes

- Changed the size of Soaps by reducing what was assigned to it (Say from 500G to 250 G)
- Increased the size of Videos from 300 to 550G
- Moved videos via PC where i was able to access all folders.

I restarted the Freenas, connected and my View volume page shows 550G Videos has no data in it and is 100% free.

I had not deleted any files nor have done any other manipulation.

Only action i did was re-arrange data set size. Now the question is, have i done a irreparable mistake.

Is there anyway i can recover the data?
I do have a 90% back up which i can use to fill data back. But wondering where the data would have gone. Tried searching web to see if changing data set size should be avoided or so, i could not get much information.

Any help from experts would be great. Should i do a auto import after exporting the volume?

S.V

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Changing your dataset size shouldn't cause a loss of data. Unless there is a bug in FreeNAS I think one of the following is likely:

1. You changed something that deleted your data and you didn't notice the missing data until after you changed the dataset size so you are making the connection that changing the dataset size must have been the problem.
2. You made a mistake with the MINIDLNA mount points and may have deleted files from inside the jail.
3. Someone deleted your files and you're a little confused because you didn't delete them.
4. Your data really is there somewhere and you are confused about something with FreeNAS and haven't realized your conceptual error yet.

If you go to Storage->Volumes->View Volumes and look at your zpool entry(probably the top entry in the list) and you look at the used space versus free space and you do the math you'll know if your video files are actually hiding somewhere. If you have 2TB of videos and 500GB of all of the other types of data combined and your zpool entry says you have like 520GB of used space(assuming you aren't using snapshots) then your video files definitely have been deleted somehow.

At this point I would grab the FreeNAS manual and look at what it says to do the things you've done lately. See if you did something that doesn't match with the manual. Other than that somehow your files were deleted.

Edit: One thing to keep in mind is that my recommendation is that you figure out exactly what happened before you continue further. If for no other reason than to learn what you did wrong and/or to give yourself faith in FreeNAS. Who would use a system that they feel is unreliable?

macekw

Cadet
Hi
I face the same problem. I have created mounting points for minidlna referring to my media directories (music, pics, video). then I realized the miniDLNA did not work (pkugin was not seen under Services-Plugins-Management, so I decided to remove mounting points, jail an software datasets and rebuild them again according to guide: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Plugins. After I rebuilt datasets, loaded jail and miniDLNA all data from music, pics, video were gone. Directories that were not mounted for miniDLNA are still there /mnt/tank. I DID NOT remove any data manually, so question is where did at which point of time I did something wrong?
And finally - any slightest chance I could recover the data?

Thanks, macekw

edited: for additional information

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You do realize if you delete a dataset all of the data in the dataset is deleted, right? I'm really at a loss to explain your problem aside from that. I make a couple of comments previously

The 2 of you are the only ones with this issue, so my guess is that you are confused about something and perhaps deleted your data without realizing it. The OP never responded so I'm really not able to provide any more input than what I said above.

macekw

Cadet
Yes I realize I removed the dataset. The point is the original data were stored outside that that dataset and were mounted into jail for miniDLNA purpose. For example directory /mnt/tank/Media/My_Pictures were mapped inside the jail /mnt/tank/jail/media/my_pictures. Before removing dataset 'jail' I removed that mounting point then I removed miniDLNA plugin, then I removed jail and finally two datatsets I created for FreeNAS plugins, which were 'jail' and 'software' (see please http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Plugins). But again, the data were not stored neither under 'jail' nor 'software' datasets. I still do not understand how this could happen.
The fact I did not make a backup before these operations is completely different story I have to deal with myself...

Thanks, macekw

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I really don't know what to say. I just did what you said and I had no problem doing it.

heavenhated

Dabbler
Sorry for the late response. Was not in town. As noobsauce80 said i may have deleted the data from the Jail. Learnt the hard way when i removed the jail data set, mini dlna and even the PDI to restart installation.

Good thing is i have the originals in my computer and this NAS is the last level of safety point. So was able to restore the files.

One question to noobsauce80 -

I have 4 data sets. Lets say A, B, C, D.

I create MiniDlna and set up a Media folder under PBI. I mount A in the Jain Media folder. I am able to view all files in A.

I try mapping B, C,D with media folder. I am not able to view any folders or files through DLNA of B,C and D while i am able to view files and folders from A.

Status
Not open for further replies.