Check if second mirror has data

TristanM

Dabbler
Hi,

My NAS has a single Pool, originally made up of a single mirror set (2 drives), but several months ago, I added a second mirror set (another 2 drives) and now one drive of the second set has failed. Is there a way to check if their is data on the second mirror set to know if I can remove it? (possibly I don't grasp how data is distributed across mirror sets for a single pool)

My hopes on next steps:
  1. Possibly remove the (newer) second mirror set all together, hence asking about checking if data is on it. (Finances limitation - later will add another set)
  2. Purchase a new replacement drive - I assume should be the same size? Therefore if I wanted to upgrade, I would have two buy two hard drives?
Many thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
First:
zpool list -v will show you the distribution amongst VDEVs in a pool.

You can use the zpool remove command if you have enough space in the "remaining" VDEV to hold all pool contents.

Davvo

MVP
Purchase a new replacement drive - I assume should be the same size? Therefore if I wanted to upgrade, I would have two buy two hard drives?
It should be at least the same size: if you buy a bigger one you simply don't use the increased space until you upgrade the other disk as well.

TristanM

Dabbler
First:
zpool list -v will show you the distribution amongst VDEVs in a pool.

You can use the zpool remove command if you have enough space in the "remaining" VDEV to hold all pool contents.
Thanks for the reply, I tried to remove my mirror but it says "Operation not supported on this type of pool", I must be misunderstanding or doing something wrong. I have attached a screenshot. Any ideas?

[UPDATE] I tried to remove from the UI Pool Status screen and got the same error but here is the full log
Code:
Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 226, in __zfs_vdev_operation
    op(target, *args)
  File "libzfs.pyx", line 391, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 226, in __zfs_vdev_operation
    op(target, *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 258, in <lambda>
    self.__zfs_vdev_operation(name, label, lambda target: target.remove())
  File "libzfs.pyx", line 2098, in libzfs.ZFSVdev.remove
libzfs.ZFSException: operation not supported on this type of pool

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 243, in _process_worker
    r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 111, in main_worker
    res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run
    return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
    return methodobj(*params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
    return methodobj(*params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 258, in remove
    self.__zfs_vdev_operation(name, label, lambda target: target.remove())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 228, in __zfs_vdev_operation
    raise CallError(str(e), e.code)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_POOL_NOTSUP] operation not supported on this type of pool
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 138, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1213, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 975, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 1217, in remove
    await self.middleware.call('zfs.pool.remove', pool['name'], found[1]['guid'])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1256, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1221, in _call
    return await self._call_worker(name, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1227, in _call_worker
    return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1154, in run_in_proc
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1128, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_POOL_NOTSUP] operation not supported on this type of pool

Attachments

• zpool-remove.png
    zpool-remove.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

sretalla