Current VB/VM Win Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
Hello

I started building out with 9.10.2 and when I got to setting up vm stuff, I learned the ability to run virtualbox windows vm has been removed in 9.10.2... which is a real bummer.

I've been searching around for a solution and my understanding is that the current base OS does not support graphical interface. What I'm not yet clear on is what exactly that means. I don't need the ability to use the vm in the browser (though that was super cool), but I was intending to hook up a monitor to the vga or hdmi ports on the box and use windows with wireless keyboard/mouse. However, I'm not even sure now if that was going to work either.

What should I do at this point to be able to run a windows vm using a monitor and keyboard/mouse hooked up to the box? Do I need to start over with an older version of FN?

D

dlavigne

This should be supported in the upcoming RC which is currently slated for release on Monday (May 1). If you are impatient, you can check out the nightlies now for a preview of what the RC will look like.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
This should be supported in the upcoming RC which is currently slated for release on Monday (May 1). If you are impatient, you can check out the nightlies now for a preview of what the RC will look like.

That is very good news. How would I go about trying out a nightly? Is it as simple as going to System->Update and choosing one of the nightlies? Which should I use? The 9.10 nightlies or 11 nightlies? And if I did, would I be able to update it to the RC or would have to reinstall?

Thank you for the info.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

You can change your train to nightlies and boot into that update. When you're finished testing, you can either update to RC from there or boot back into your current install and use that to update to RC.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
You can change your train to nightlies and boot into that update. When you're finished testing, you can either update to RC from there or boot back into your current install and use that to update to RC.
Ok, I will try it out. Should I choose 9.10 nightlies or 11 nightlies?

Thanks again

FreeNASftw

Contributor
I've been running 11 nightlies for maybe a week now? Updating daily. The system and UI has been rock solid the entire time.
My usage is pretty basic although I have been playing with the new VM functionality and that too has been very good.
11 nightlies has VNC built in so you have GUI interaction. There are a few more threads on VM usage around the place, and one on exporting your VB guests to BHYVE.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
I've been running 11 nightlies for maybe a week now? Updating daily. The system and UI has been rock solid the entire time.
My usage is pretty basic although I have been playing with the new VM functionality and that too has been very good.
11 nightlies has VNC built in so you have GUI interaction. There are a few more threads on VM usage around the place, and one on exporting your VB guests to BHYVE.
Glad to hear it's working out. You know of a good how to to get the vms up and running? Specifically windows?

Last edited by a moderator:

FreeNASftw

Contributor
I haven't really had a good play just yet, as I've had issues with a few other things.
I haven't looked into how to get a non UEFI image running as there is no VNC available. So with Windows you would need an unattend script I guess.
When I tried installing Windows 10 it ran the installer fine but would crash when starting to copy files to disk. Server 2016 installed and ran fine with no extra interaction.
I'll have a crack at loading UEFI into a Windows 7 ISO.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
I've been using 11 nightlies and its been problem free so far. I've got ubuntu 17 server installed with iohyve which I'm using for collabora docker.

I was thinking about installing a gui in ubuntu. Would I be able to use the vga/hdmi on the box to use ubuntu as a desktop? If so, how do you go about achieving that?

Status
Not open for further replies.