Memory upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I've recently discovered my motherboard is compatible with ECC ram:cool:
I plan to purchase 2 kits of 4GB view here.
This upgrade is a temp fix until I build a "real" server
Would I be correct in assuming that FreeNas will simply carry out a normal boot process
(like most operating systems) if the sticks are compatible with the board & CPU?
I ask this cause I have no monitor, keyboard or mouse hooked to this box now,
and wish to avoid the hassle to hook them up. (yes, I am a lazy admin)
I'm still researching the ECC compatibility thing with my current CPU.
Thanks for your replies. Dave

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You might get a popup warning on POST telling you that your memory configuration has changed and to "Press F1 to continue" or something. I'd hook up a monitor and keyboard just to make sure it works out smootly(no mouse needed).

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
No rest for the wicked:rolleyes:
Thanks CJ

joeschmuck

Old Man
Read your users manual to see what the BIOS configurations are. I suspect you will need to tell the BIOS that you have ECC RAM installed. I don't think you will be able to get out of not connecting a Monitor and Keyboard for the first boot. I'd also highly recommend running MemTest86+ for 3 complete passes before feeling comfortable that the RAM is working fine with your MB.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Read your users manual to see what the BIOS configurations are. I suspect you will need to tell the BIOS that you have ECC RAM installed. I don't think you will be able to get out of not connecting a Monitor and Keyboard for the first boot. I'd also highly recommend running MemTest86+ for 3 complete passes before feeling comfortable that the RAM is working fine with your MB.
Good advice, thank you:)

Status
Not open for further replies.