CRITICAL: The volume Volume2 (ZFS) status is DEGRADED help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirNewZealand15

Dabbler
If you go to the documentation index page, it tells you which version the documentation it is for (if there are any further releases, changes are noted in the release notes). Also, older versions of the documentation are still out there. I think the equivalent instructions for 8.0.4 (8.0.3 really) are here.

Thanks for that. Sounds like in the command line... I'll let you know how I get on.

AirNewZealand15

Dabbler
Just giving you an update on this. My new drive arrived and I installed into my freenas. I then went to storage > view all volumes > view disks. Then clicked replace on the bad disk (that had already been removed) and then chose the new disk and clicked replace. This caused a another disk to appear which had a detach button. I clicked the button and then that disk disappeared.

I now have both my good disks in the array and my raid health has gone from degraded to healthy.

Last question I have - how do I check the status of the raid rebuild?

Thanks

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
# zpool status

From SSH.

I strongly recommend to update your freenas version though. Save config and install a new freenas in a different USB just in case, and reload config. Anything goes wrong just switch the USB flash drives.

AirNewZealand15

Dabbler
# zpool status

From SSH.

I strongly recommend to update your freenas version though. Save config and install a new freenas in a different USB just in case, and reload config. Anything goes wrong just switch the USB flash drives.

I take it you mean 8.2? I knew it was in beta a while ago but I guess it has been fully released now. Ok I might go ahead and do that. Thanks for the reply.

Stephens

Patron
I now have both my good disks in the array and my raid health has gone from degraded to healthy.

Success!

Last question I have - how do I check the status of the raid rebuild?

William has already answered this (and what he says goes), but I'm not sure if he was telling you to upgrade before or after the resilver finishes. I'd normally wait for it to finish before doing anything else if at all possible (you CAN use the system while it resilvers, but it'll take longer).

AirNewZealand15

Dabbler
Success!

William has already answered this (and what he says goes), but I'm not sure if he was telling you to upgrade before or after the resilver finishes. I'd normally wait for it to finish before doing anything else if at all possible (you CAN use the system while it resilvers, but it'll take longer).

Excellent. I will let it finish first and then upgrade. I have noticed a performance drop at the moment while accessing files on the freeness - so that would make sense since it is rebuilding the raid.

Thanks everyone for your help in this thread :)

joshg678

Explorer
After you complete the upgrade, run a scrub too.
Hope everything works after the upgrade, good luck!

AirNewZealand15

Dabbler
Spoke to soon...

FreeNas was working fine for about 3 hours and then I suddenly couldn't access my shares. I logged into the web gui and checked everything - it all appeared to be fine. So I restarted the FN and now I am back to the geometry error I has earlier.

This has happened since I added the new drive. I think I might reinstall 8.0.4 again, then copy all my data off the 2TB drive, then install a fresh 8.2 system, then import my settings and setup those two 2TB drives from scratch. Then copy my data back on.

In future, I will make sure I follow the procedure for removing drives etc as it appears this is what is screwing up my FN system.

I'll let you know how it goes.

AirNewZealand15

Dabbler
Ok I took a chance and upgraded my corrupt system to 8.2 and boom it worked. Back in business again. I ran the zpool status from the shell and it reports only 1.68% of the resilver is done... so i will leave it overnight and hopefully everything is good to go.

This has been great learning for me. Thanks again everyone.

joshg678

Explorer
good to hear.
Let us know how it pans out.

paleoN

Wizard
What's the difference between a resilver and a scrub? In particular what's the difference for AirNewZealand15's case?

So I restarted the FN and now I am back to the geometry error I has earlier.
For the sake of clarity, this is GEOM bitching about the partition setup on the USB stick. Everyone gets it and it is completely benign.

AirNewZealand15

Dabbler
What's the difference between a resilver and a scrub? In particular what's the difference for AirNewZealand15's case?

Well I have done both now and both finished successfully and in good time.

paleoN said:
For the sake of clarity, this is GEOM bitching about the partition setup on the USB stick. Everyone gets it and it is completely benign.

Ok thanks for that - its just weird that it was stopping on that exact line. Now that i have 8.2 (which has heaps of cool new features btw :smile: it seems to have fixed it.

I have now setup SSH and can access the freenas through terminal on my mac - awesome! Thats for the link to set that up. all I need to type into terminal is 'ssh root@192.168.1.215' and off I go - much easier than plugging in a monitor/kb everytime!

I'm stoked that 8.2 lets you control the scrubbing schedule now, as the scrubs were causing my Time Machine backups to corrupt, and forced me to move to a once-a-day time machine backup schedule.

fracai

Guru
A resilver rebuilds parity on the replacement disk. A scrub examines all the data on all the drives, looking for checksum errors. If anything is found to be faulty (bad block), a resilver will automatically repair the damaged data from existing parity data. If a drive dies, the resilver will take much longer than resilvering a small set of damaged files.

paleoN

Wizard
No takers for the difference for AirNewZealand15's case? Perhaps I'm just not waiting long enough.

To expand a bit on what fracai said, a scrub examines all copies of the data & metadata and will repair metadata/data if possible. A resilver only reads the metadata & data necessary to rebuild/update the resilvering device.

As for AirNewZealand15's case, a simple mirror with one failed device, requires the data & the metadata to be read from the surviving device. I don't think having copies=2 or copies=3 changes this for the single mirror case. Essentially the surviving device is scrubbed and the resilvering device has just written all the information. Immediately scrubbing afterwards has very little benefit. IMHO, it would make more sense to keep an eye on the SMART info on the second device if you are concerned about the freshly written information.

shawndewet

Dabbler
From a SSH session as root paste the output of:
Code:
zpool status -v

camcontrol devlist

gpart show

To view the SMART info:
Code:
smartctl -q noserial -a /dev/adaX
Hi Guys,
I got a similar alert email this morning, and I have run the commands suggested by paleoN.
it seems my /dev/ada0 drive is on the blink, as the smartctl command for this drive returns some gobbledygook and ends with
"Read Device Identity failed: Input/output error
A mandatory SMART command failed: existing. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options"

The same command for my other 3 drives in the array indicate a healthy status.

Should it now be as simple as shutting down the server, replacing the faulty drive, and booting up again? Please advise. I'm a total noob at this.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi Guys,
I got a similar alert email this morning, and I have run the commands suggested by paleoN.
it seems my /dev/ada0 drive is on the blink, as the smartctl command for this drive returns some gobbledygook and ends with
"Read Device Identity failed: Input/output error
A mandatory SMART command failed: existing. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options"

The same command for my other 3 drives in the array indicate a healthy status.

Should it now be as simple as shutting down the server, replacing the faulty drive, and booting up again? Please advise. I'm a total noob at this.

Follow the manual's instructions to the letter.

Link is at the top of the page.

shawndewet

Dabbler
Follow the manual's instructions to the letter.

Link is at the top of the page.
Thanks Ericloewe. I found that relevant part in the manual just after posting my post. However, when I launch my GUI I get
"
An error occurred.
Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check theerror log for details.

Faithfully yours, nginx.
"
I can only suspect that my failed GUI is related to my degraded zfs volume? Is there a way to achieve what the manual says using the command line? Is it worth trying a reboot to see if my GUI comes back?

shawndewet

Dabbler
Rebooted, and got the GUI back...followed the manual step by step and all worked wonderfully!

Status
Not open for further replies.