CRITICAL: Aug. 12, 2016, 9:34 a.m. - Device: /dev/da11 [SAT], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suddenly see this error:

CRITICAL: Aug. 12, 2016, 9:34 a.m. - Device: /dev/da11 [SAT], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors

Where can I read more on this error and what should I do?

I put the disk into the server yesterday, and before this I ran a WD diagnostic on the disk where no errors where found. I will probably need to remove the disk and do another test on the disk with the tool.

Or is there something I can run in FreeNAS to solve this?

When looking at the volume it says its healthy and when looking at the volume status it says all disks are online.

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
It means the drive has a bad sector. Nothing to worry a lot but if the drive is new it may be infant mortality so keep an eye on the number, do a long smart test, do a scrub.

Did you burn-in your drives before using them?

It means the drive has a bad sector. Nothing to worry a lot but if the drive is new it may be infant mortality so keep an eye on the number, do a long smart test, do a scrub.

Did you burn-in your drives before using them?

What do you mean with burn in? they have been used in another system before, and has been working very good for about 2-3 years without errors. And the scan did not find any problems on this one.

I will keep an eye on the disk and see if it pops up with more bad sectors over time, if it does I would have to replace it i guess.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

droeders

Contributor
What do you mean with burn in? they have been used in another system before, and has been working very good for about 2-3 years without errors. And the scan did not find any problems on this one.

I will keep an eye on the disk and see if it pops up with more bad sectors over time, if it does I would have to replace it i guess.

See here for some HDD burn-in advice:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-hard-drive-burn-in-testing.21451/

I always run these tests (and oftentimes more) on new drives.

Since the drives are 2-3 years old, I wouldn't worry about a burn-in test. That said, I would definitely schedule regular short/long SMART tests and ZFS scrubs. As @Bidule0hm said, keep a close eye on the SMART results and attributes for the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.