Storage error - but pool show no issue

dwchan69

Contributor
I have a pool with 2vdev, each vdev has 2 disk. I am getting the following notification error

CRITICAL
Device: /dev/da2 [SAT], 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.
2021-01-18 15:49:41 (US/Eastern)Dismiss

notifications_active
CRITICAL
Device: /dev/da2 [SAT], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors.

notifications_active
CRITICAL
Device: /dev/da3 [SAT], 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.

notifications_active
CRITICAL
Device: /dev/da3 [SAT], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors.

But when I review the pool dashboard, it it showing all green. So which one is right?

dwchan69

Contributor
These are physical hard drive within my TrueNAS enclosure. It is connect using a Broadcom 9300-16i

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
But when I review the pool dashboard, it it showing all green. So which one is right?
Two things can be true at once... Just because a drive (or two) has a bad sector, the pool can still be healthy. Usually a drive will attempt to reallocate the data in an affected sector to another place on disk. Also, it is possible that there is no data in the sector that has been marked off.
A bad sector can indicate a problem with the health of the drive (physical damage to the disk) that may lead to additional bad sectors or even the eventual failure of the drive.

What brand / model drive are you using?

My normal action on a bad sector is to replace the drive from one of my ready spares. I keep a stock of tested / burned-in spares on hand so I can replace a faulted drive without needing to wait for a replacement to be shipped to me. Once the faulted drive is replaced, then I can do more intensive testing on that drive to determine if it will be used again or sent to the manufacturer for warranty, or destroyed / recycled...

Drives, even new ones, can develop bad sectors. It is probably the most common drive fault. Usually, for one (or even two) bad / offline sectors, I will monitor the drive to see if more problems come.