Creating raidz2 with different size of hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheuk

Cadet
Hi, I'm going to buiding a storage server with freenas and planning to use raidz2 with 6 disks ( 4 x 1TB, 2 X 2TB). Is there any problem with these size of disk and I will replace those 1TB with 2TB later. Thanks!

those 1TB disks are WD 1TB blue
and 2TB disks are WD 2TB green

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi, I'm going to buiding a storage server with freenas and planning to use raidz2 with 6 disks ( 4 x 1TB, 2 X 2TB). Is there any problem with these size of disk and I will replace those 1TB with 2TB later. Thanks!

those 1TB disks are WD 1TB blue
and 2TB disks are WD 2TB green

No problem, but you'll be limited to a pool like you'd have with 6 1TB disks until you replace the 1TB disks with 2TB disks (always follow the manual to the letter).

Last edited:

Cheuk

Cadet
Cool, Thanks! One more question, Is the WD green drive with 4k sector? I think those 1TB drives are 512...Is there a problem with I mix them in the zpool?

solarisguy

Guru
Cool, Thanks! One more question, Is the WD green drive with 4k sector? I think those 1TB drives are 512...Is there a problem with I mix them in the zpool?
With the current FreeNAS version there is no problem. Yes, there was a problem in earlier versions.

You would get bitten when replacing a non-AF drive with an AF drive of the same size. The bug would not be tickled if a larger drive was replacing a smaller drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.