Creating a Raid1 with JRaid card

Status
Not open for further replies.

trolley

Dabbler
Hi! all

I was finally to get a FreeNAS box running again at home. I am running 9.2.1.5 64 bit, I have 4gb of memory and a JRAID card with two 500gb drives.

I am trying to create a ZFS volume. I created the raid1 at the system level before FreeNAS boots. When I try to create the ZFS volume, I get the following error message.

No entry has been found

Any help would be very much appreciated. I am currently backing up files to a Unix File Server, which is now starting to give problems. Again thanks in advance.

DJ9

Contributor
Are you suppose to be using a raid card with FreeNAS? Hint, no. ;)

gpsguy

In addition to not using HW RAID, you will need a minimum of 8Gb of RAM for ZFS on FreeNAS.

trolley

Dabbler
I have deleted the raid1 at the system level, and created a raid1 using UFS. It worked just fine, thanks to all.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You realize that UFS support is already removed from the master branch of FreeNAS? Aka you 9.2.1.6 is the last version of FreeNAS you will be able to use. If you can't(or won't) use ZFS you should consider alternative options as FreeNAS might not be the most useful to you.

trolley

Dabbler
I did not read the release notes or any other documentation. I had been using a SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 as a backup device, but that is starting to have issues. I currently support an application on that platform. I have been using FreeNAS off and on for a couple of years. I have been using old and spare equipment, it has worked very well for me in the past. I see that I will have to purchase a beefier box in the future to use FreeNAS or is there a older version of FreeNAS that I should be using?

Thanks to the moderator for deleting a response that was a little hostile.

I appreciate the answers to my problem, again thanks.

aufalien

Patron
Actually I had removed it myself. Asking if you were 12 was none of my biz.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, 8.x requires 6GB of RAM minimum with ZFS. The only smart recommendations I'm going to make is:

1. Upgrade your hardware.
2. Go with a different OS.

You *might* be able to use old stuff, but you'll be open to all the vulnerabilities that haven't been patched in that version. You also can choose to go with UFS, but again you'll be stuck on old stuff forever.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

trolley

Dabbler
Ericloewe, thank you for the information. I ran some of it and found it very interesting. I decided to remove the JRaid controller card and plug the 500gb hard drives into the SATA ports. After re-install FreeNAS, the drives are not showing up. This may sound stupid, but should I put the raid controller back in? As I stated earlier, I need a new backup system. However, I do not want to screw myself in the process.

I am beginning to learn server technology and using FreeNAS and visualization. My goal is to have a system running XenServer, with FreeNAS as a virtual machine along with other OSes.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Ericloewe, thank you for the information. I ran some of it and found it very interesting. I decided to remove the JRaid controller card and plug the 500gb hard drives into the SATA ports. After re-install FreeNAS, the drives are not showing up. This may sound stupid, but should I put the raid controller back in? As I stated earlier, I need a new backup system. However, I do not want to screw myself in the process.

I am beginning to learn server technology and using FreeNAS and visualization. My goal is to have a system running XenServer, with FreeNAS as a virtual machine along with other OSes.
Full. Stop.

Based on this thread alone do not try to virtualize your freenas

#stayparanoid

trolley

Dabbler
I started over and installed 9.2.1.5 onto a 40gb IDE hard drive. I do not have any usb sticks that I could you at this time. I have two 500.1gb hard drives connect JRaid controller card. The hard drives are not seen otherwise. The hard drives are setup in non raid-mode. I have 4gb of memory.

So far so good. I then configure the system to what I needed to exist in my network (ie. static IP, workgroup). When I tried to create a UFS volume creating mirroring the two 500gb drives, I get an error saying geom cannot be stored on /dev/ada0. I also tried the following commands at shell prompt:

gpart destroy -F /dev/ada0 Invalid argument
gmirror clear /dev/ada0 Operation not permitted

I was hoping to get this system up and running before my Unix File Server crashs.

Again any help will be very much appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why are you trying to do that stuff from the CLI? If you aren't using the WebGUI you are in for pain when things don't match the FreeNAS configuration. Read our manual at doc.freenas.org and use it. What you are trying to do is going to end badly for you...

trolley

Dabbler
I did use the WebGUI, but I got an error. So then, I tried searching the web and the forum for answers. I still do not have an answer to my problem.

Someone please help.

gpsguy

Download DBAN (www.dban.org), burn the ISO, and run a quick erase on the hard disks.

Then create the volume from the webGUI - it should work this time.

trolley

Dabbler
gpsguy, thank you once I did that I was all set and I am up and running just fine.

Thank you all for your patience and helping me understand what I needed to do.

gpsguy

I'm glad to hear that you got your server up and running.

You might want to run your DBAN CD through the shredder so that it doesn't get used accidentally. :-(

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.