How to import manually created UFS volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinonet

Cadet
Hi All,

Can't seem to find similar issue on the forum. This is a fresh FreeNAS 8.3.1 install. I am using Intel mobo with build-in RAID controller which I really would like to use (or at least try).
After a bit of tinkering, I have loaded graid geom driver through tunables and I can now successively see my raid controller and create a RAID1 volume from CLI using graid. The issue is that GUI would refuse to see the newly created geom (raid/r0 which maps to /dev/raid/r0) as a new drive. So I went ahead and partitioned the raided volume with gpart and formatted with UFS. Still no go. Neither new partition nor newly formatted volume are there in the GUI.

Everything works just fine under CLI, I can see the HW raid, I can do whatever I want with it, format, mount.... Just cannot get GUI to see anything I do. All I see is two separate drives, that's it.

Just wonder if anyone tried this before, I am not looking at ZFS at this time, just wanted plain ol' simple UFS volume on top of HW RAID1. Any CLI command to export created volume so GUI can pick it up? Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

tinonet

Cadet
Apologies, should have provided full specs upfront:

Intel DZ75ML45K board with RAID 0/1/5/10 chipset (I think this is called Z7 chipset?)
Intel G2020 2.9Ghz CPU
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

More things tried: upgraded FreeNAS to 8.3.1p2 (64 Bit running from Transcend JetFlash 780 8GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive), Updated mobo BIOS to the latest version.

During boot system complains that the second GPT partition copy is busted (same error after deleting the partition and recreating anew) and it is using a first copy. FSCK fails with Unknown filesystem error, although newfs command formats it just fine.
After creating a general GPT partition I added new partition of freebsd-ufs type.

Am I correct in assuming that the new device which is visible from CLI (/dev/raid/r0 ) should appear as a new disk? So far I only see two separate original drives in GUI under disks.

Anyone? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.