Create new email notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

entyrion

Explorer
I'm setting up my SMART tests and zpool scrubs and I would like to receive email notifications (preferably appended to the nightly email, but sent separately is OK if that's the only option) that will notify me that the process has completed and summarize the results.

I couldn't readily find a means to achieve this in the manual or after checking Google, and the only sticky here is to cut down on the number of emails, whereas I'm OK with the nightly notice that all is well on my home server. Can anyone provide tips or resources to configure email notices? Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you want it to summarize the results and such you are going to write a custom script. FreeNAS doesn't email you unless there's something that needs attention.

entyrion

Explorer
Thanks for the reply, cyberjock. Well, let me ask this then, since I'm not quite sure where to find the details: IF there is an error or "fail" parameter during one of the SMART tests or zpool scrubs, then the root account will be emailed, right? I think that would be sufficient for me.

As a follow up question though, is there a command I can run from the shell that will confirm if/when/results of the last smart test and scrub so paranoid me can confirm and rest easy that the schedules I set up in the GUI are in fact running as intended?

Thanks!!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
For scrubs, the root account gets emailed at 3am if there was any problem.

For SMART the root account doesn't get emailed, no. The email address you put the SMART window gets the email, and it'll get it at the next "interval" you put in. Default is 30 minutes, and I consider that to be a good choice.

Edit: No, there's not command for emailing results. But you can use smartctl -a /dev/XXX to check the status for yourself.

entyrion

Explorer
Thanks again! I'll double-check the SMART GUI at home to see about that email field; p. 74 in the manual didn't mention anything about emails, so I was confused. In addition to manually running the smart tests, a quick Google indicates that
Code:
zpool status -v
would confirm if/when the last scrub ran and put my paranoia to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.