Crashplan on which Freenas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickdang

Cadet
For whatever reason, I can't seem to wrap my head around this to get started with my headless Crashplan setup. Most of the information I've found was pertaining to either having Crashplan run on the same machine to a different volume, or to an external drive attached to the FreeNas server via USB.

I have 2 FreeNAS servers. One is my main server that I run a few iSCSI volumes off of, to my Mac. The other FreeNas server is meant as a backup to my main one.

The goal is to run the backup with both machines at the same location, then to move the backup machine over to an offsite location where the backups will continue. I do have Crashplan currently backing up to the cloud as well but would like a more local version.

So... my question - which FreeNas server do I install and run the plugin for? The main one or the backup? Or is rsync better for this?

As always, any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

fracai

Guru
You'd need Crashplan running on both machines.

However, this seems like it'd be better handled by replication. Rsync would be fine too, but you'd probably get better performance out of replication.

rickdang

Cadet
Thank you fracai... I will look into the replication, I think that's a better solution for what I'm doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.