Crashplan vs Veam

Status
Not open for further replies.

gayle30

Dabbler
Hi,

i just had a quick question regarding backing up devices on my network.

Can anyone advise what the pro's and con's would be running the crashplan jail on my freenas server vs using Veam?

as far as i can tell, with crashplan i have to setup the jail on my server and then install the software on my device.

With Veam, i simply install the software on my device and point it to the network location where backups are to be stored.

Is there any benefit to using crashplan over Veam?

I know crashplan has a pro service where it can upload my data to the cloud, but i cant use that as my upload data counts towards my ISPs datacap which sucks.

any advice for the best backup system would be great.

Thanks!

miniwalks

Dabbler
Assuming you're talking about Veeam endpoint, it's not bad, it's a simple install which creates a recovery boot ISO, then does dumps to a location on a schedule, restoration of files/whole system works well.
Just be aware it installs SQL express on the machine you're backing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeeFGee

Dabbler
Hi Gayle, not mentioned in your list, but I really can recommend Duplicati for data backup. It is really powerful open source software.
It can't backup full system images, however. On the other hand you can backup to almost everywhere - including NAS shares, cloud storage, FTP ...

phier

Patron
hi,
i need to chime in... I was looking for similar setup ... did some research but ...

1) duplicati - apparently broken, i tried to backup c:\\Users\user1/ folder (90GB), multiple runs... all the time error listed below. I scanned drive with smartctl no issues, no bad sectors etc... so issue with duplicati?

Code:
Rollback error: unknown error No transaction is active on this connection

System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException (0x80004005): unknown error No transaction is active on this connection at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteTransactionBase.IsValid(Boolean throwError) at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteTransactionBase.Rollback() at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String[] sources, IFilter filter)

2) veeam free (endpoint freenas SMB), backup done pretty quickly, number of backed files vs files in C:\users\user1 was different, backup was missing 10 000 files.

Restore -> to freenas SMB -> extremely slow -> 180KB/s

3) im going to try crashplan, nothing else is on my mind.

4) googled http://www.urbackup.org/index.html but no idea how reliable it is.

thanks

Hazimil

Contributor

miniwalks

Dabbler
Should be noted that the Veeam Endpoint client ignores some files, like thumbs.db for example.

As long as you're doing volume level backup which is the recommended it uses VSS to ensure consistent backups taken at the time of the stun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ovizii

Patron
I'm successfully using Veeam agent for Linux and endpoint for Windows as well as duplicati (version 2 - beta) but it all depends on what you'd like to backup:
duplicati is great for backing up data while Veeam can backup partitions and the full system too.

Never used crashplan though.

What exactly are you wanting to backup? How many versions do you need? What is your client system OS?

If you clients are running Windows, give Windows built-in backup a try, I have heard really good reports about it starting with Win 10.

If you're running Linux, check out borg backup but it all depends on your needs so let us know what your exact needs are :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.