CRASHPLAN....NON plugin version. Setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmannyr

Contributor
I setup CRASHPLAN on a desktop that sees all the files on the FN machine that I want backed up onto CrashPlan. CrashPlan has started it's back up, but its a very small amount (250mb) vs the several TB that are there. Is there a known issue with this.

How is everyone setting up Crashplan now a days that doesn't envolve the constant fiddling like I have read with the plug in? I several desktops available to run the Crashplan app.

lmannyr

Contributor
Anyone?

D

dlavigne

Not without more information. Build version of FreeNAS? Hardware info? Was crashplan installed using Plugins or Jails? Are there any error messages in /var/log/messages?

lmannyr

Contributor
9.10.latest
No longer using the plugin. Thought about installing it on a VM but I'm not 100 clear on how a VM works. I'll need to read up on that.

I installed Crashplan on a Desktop on the network that has access to the FreeNAS drive. I think I have it sorted out. Its backing up now. Will take days if not more since the desktop is not always on. For that reason I was hoping to install it on the FreeNAS box. Again, I need to read up on VMs on how they work, and how it affects the server resources.

fracai

Guru
I have Crashplan running in a Debian VM run by bhyve (I basically followed the iohyve example from these forums). Storage is mounted over NFS. It has been, by far, the easiest configuration of Crashplan on FreeNAS that I've undertaken. And, I can configure it by VNC or by forwarding X11 over SSH, so there's no need to mess with the UID files and forwarding ports. I expect the Docker install to be even easier.

lmannyr

Contributor
any links to a guide to setup a VM? Never played with VMs, or debian or bhyve.

lmannyr

Contributor
Thanks. I'll take a peek. Wonder with FreeNAS 10 will be fully released... Seems it will be easier to setup Crashplan there.

fracai

Guru
It's currently pegged for 20 Feb. I wouldn't be surprised if that slips some amount and there's also the question of how quickly you upgrade. (It's going to take me a while to get a plan laid out for installing containers to replace my current jails)

lmannyr

Contributor
Thanks for the heads up. I looked over the instructions you pointed out. I'm not feeling to ambitious for all that. I liked how quick plex plugin worked out of the box per se. I was nearly plug in play. I think all I did was put in an IP address and add storage. Now that was NICE. This behyve stuff.......oh boy....I'll give it shot I guess. Here goes....

Status
Not open for further replies.