Copy data from freenas to freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

skattrd

Cadet
Hi all,
I've been running a freenas box as my home media server for 18 months or so (raidz1). I just set it up following the tutorial and pretty much left it alone, apart from upgrading freenas a couple of times. I'm now about to outgrow the storage, so I am going to upgrade the box and discs, so for a short time I will have two freenas servers. I will be looking to copy about 5TB of data from the old freenas to the new one. Could anyone tell me a simple/quick/easy way of doing this.
I can follow simple instructions but knows virtually nothing about unix commands.
Would configuring rsync be worthwhile as it's a one time copy?
Both systems will be running FreeNAS-8.3.1

Thx
Chris

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
You can either use rsync or ZFS replication.

rsync should be easier to setup, I believe the docs cover this.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I use rsync for this. Leave an rsync job running for a couple of days and then kill the old box when you have everything migrated

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

skattrd

Cadet
Cheers guys. I am doing the data copy via Rsync.
I started the copy last night and it's going to take a few days. I just set up one job to copy the full dataset.

Is there any way I can see the progress of the rsync copy? I can see 400GB was copied overnight by the size of the data on the new drive, but would like to see overall progress, time left etc if possible.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
you can add
--progress
to the rsync command

here are the parameters I use on most of my command line rsync jobs:
rsync -rvuAth --progress
recursive
verbose
update
preserve ACLs
preserve times