Copy FreeNAS.7 to FreeNAS 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeLoo

Cadet
I have just got my new FreeNAS 8.02 box up and running, and I want to copy the contents from a FreeNAS .72 box. Both are using CIFS shares.

I have realized copying multiple TB from windows isn't ideal. What is the recommended method?

PS. the new box uses an ASUS E35M1-I with 6 3TB WD green disks in RAID-Z. Perhaps not the highest possible performance, but a very cost efficient combo.

globus999

Contributor
I have just got my new FreeNAS 8.02 box up and running, and I want to copy the contents from a FreeNAS .72 box. Both are using CIFS shares.

I have realized copying multiple TB from windows isn't ideal. What is the recommended method?

PS. the new box uses an ASUS E35M1-I with 6 3TB WD green disks in RAID-Z. Perhaps not the highest possible performance, but a very cost efficient combo.

Just a question, why, oh why on earth would you go FN8?
FN8 is just a PR stunt and will never, ever, work properly and lag significantly behind as long as TrueNAS is a product.

CheeLoo

Cadet
Why FN8? I did try FN.72 at first, mostly due to concerns on how to replace a failed drive. FN.72 didn't support the NIC on the mobo until I found some Japanese build where it was supported. That one didn't recognize the drives. Perhaps too old for 3 TB drives even though it's the latest baseline? FN8 installed without any problems. I do however regret buying the 3TB drives - they are a lot louder than the WD green 2TB drives

I hope that is enough about the choice of software. I would prefer some advice on my original question on how to copy the contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.