Convert a single-disk stripe on a zpool to a mirror stripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Please quote where i said zvols don't fragment?
Is that how you interpreted this: "the 'fragmentation' issue wouldn't be a problem."
That's exactly how I interpreted it.

It's not harder to replace drives.. you replace a drive in the WebGUI just like the manual says to. You don't have to do any more or less clicks of the mouse if it were fill disk.

You know how many people have had to go with a smaller swapsize so they could resilver disks? *Many* people have had to replace a disk with a refurbished disk(or another spare) and found that the spare is 100kb too small. So what do you do? You set the WebGUI swap size to 1.5GB and you do the resilver.

There are TONS of reasons why the swap space is useless but extremely, extremely useful. Don't knock it. I find it interesting that you're going to argue over what is literally going to be a rounding error for disk sizes these days.

If you understood all of the aspects of how FreeBSD works you'd realize partitions are the way to go. I'm sorry but I'm not going to explain it any more than I already have. Plenty of topics on this already if you want to read them.

Take care.

brashquido

Dabbler
Thank you.

The summary instructions seemed to be (where /dev/ada1 is the new disk and tank is the pool name):
  1. gpart create -s gpt /dev/ada1
  2. gpart add -b 128 -t freebsd-swap -s 2G /dev/ada1
  3. gpart add -t freebsd-zfs /dev/ada1
  4. Run zpool status and note the gptid of the existing disk
  5. Run gpart list and find the gptid of the newly created partition. It is the rawuuid field. In this example it would be rawuuid of ada1p1
  6. zpool attach tank /dev/gptid/[gptid_of_the_existing_disk] /dev/gptid/[gptid_of_the_new_partition]

I will give this a try. Cyberjock, you had mentioned that you thought the notes may need updating - the notes list this as for FreeNAS 9.1.1, and I am running 8.3.2. Do you recommend any changes to the above before I give it a try? Thanks again.

Sorry to post into an old thread, however I would like to perform the exact same function. That is convert a single disk stripe to mirror stripe.

Just wondering how you got on here allegiance? Was your conversion a success? Thought I'd check seeing as Cyberjock mentioned it is an out of date process.

My FreeNas version = FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506232120

Last edited:

brashquido

Dabbler
Thank you very much. Worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.