Control of AD services

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesm

Dabbler
Hi. I am having issues with CIFS since I upgraded to 9.2.1.2. In the process of debugging the issues, I deleted the FREENAS server as a "computer" on the domain controller, and now I can't seem to be able to rejoin the domain.

I notice in the control services menu, there are no controls for activating or deactivating AD or the Domain Controller services. In particular, I made a mistake in trying to turn the freenas server into a domain controller (not realizing it can only be the PDC) in my forest, and now I can't clear the fields in that menu, or find a way to disable that functionality.

When I try and join the domain through the AD menu, the command returns fine without error, but it still doesn't join.

Where are the controls for enabling and disabling these services? The documentation says the control services menu should have those controls, but I can't seem to find them there.

Thanks,
mike

D

dlavigne

From http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Directory_Services:

NOTE: at this time, only one directory service can be configured . That service must first be selected in the System → Settings → General → Directory Service drop-down menu. Once selected, a Directory Service entry will be added to Services → Control Services so that the service can be started, stopped, and configured.

mikesm

Dabbler
Thanks for the pointer!

I had a hard time figuring out what happened until I saw the note that prior AD settings would not be carried over to 9.2.1.2 automatically.

Once set, I managed to get the Freenas system to believe it had successfully joined to the AD domain, but the weird thing is that the windows AD servers don't show it either as a DC or a Computer in the listings for domain DC's and Domain computers. It appears it thinks it's an NT4 style member, but not a member of the AD. wbinfo on the Freenas system shows the proper user accounts from the AD, but I can't seem to change permissions or ownership in the shares from the Freenas server from any of the windows clients or other servers in the domain. The files can be accessed OK it seems. Very weird.

How can Freenas think it's joined the domain, but the AD servers in the domain not show it as part of the domain? It used to show up fine in the list when it was a member running 9.1.

Thx
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.