Content invisible, ZFS volume is healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So, I'll clear up a few things for the noobs.

1. /mnt is actually a valid storage location. Now, proper use of /mnt dictates that you don't actually use the /mnt location for data but instead use mountpoints only. Any zpools will simply be mounted in the /mnt folder. But, it's possible to copy files to /mnt. It fills up /mnt and you start getting errors(sound familiar?). I just did this on my system to prove that you can do it. It gets ugly fast and you should fix it. Since mountpoints use space on /mnt, if you run out of space it's possible for your pool to not mount because it doesn't fit. Haha.

To solve this you'll have to go to the CLI and move or delete any files or folders that exist in /mnt to your pool.

2. How your files ended up there is anyone's guess. My guess is someone screwed up a CLI file move or copy and put them there. Since FreeNAS won't let you share out /mnt itself it's obvious that user error has caused it(or at least, it didn't let ME when I tried to do it with 9.2.0). I'd guess that someone was doing things on the CLI they shouldn't have been and they are solely responsible for the problems.

3. ewhac is a moron. Why? because I'm supposed to yell at him for 2 things. So here's #1.

4. and here's #2! ;)

Onno

Dabbler
Now, you could simply use the mv command to move your files and directories from /mnt to /mnt/NAS, and your Windows mount should then see it all (assuming your CIFS share exposes /mnt/NAS), but you'd still have that weird inconsistency laying around, waiting to bite you. And with 6TB of data, I'd want to get that understood and fixed before moving files around.

I'm sure Cyberjock will yell at me for at least two things in this post :).[/quote]

I moved everything with the mv command, and it's visible/useable in windows again. (figured it out before you told me) But you are right, i still don't know the cause. Hopefully the problem won't return, and now at least i know a bit more about shell commands...
But again, thanks a bunch for helping!

Status
Not open for further replies.