Content invisible, ZFS volume is healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onno

Dabbler
Hello Everyone,

I hope someone can help me, because i cannot see the content of my zfs volume anymore!
I have 4 disks of 2tb, with one zfs volume on them, raid 5 so 6tb of useable space. When i tried to update from version 8 to version 9, i could not import my volume, so i went back to Freenas 8(64 bit). After a fresh install i was able to autoimport my zfs volume and it seems healthy, status is: Online, according to the GUI:

Volume Path Used Available Size Status
NAS /mnt/NAS 5.3 TB (90%) 565.4 GB 5.9 TB ONLINE

But when i access the share on my windows 7 pc, the folder is empty! Can someone please help me recover my files and folders???
I am somewhat of a noob, my knowledge of freenas is basic, and restricted to the GUI

gpsguy

After you did a fresh install of version 8 did you restore your old (version 8) configuration file?

If not, do you still have a copy that you can restore.

I'd that answer is no - you'll have to reconfigure sharing, etc on your server.

Sent from my phone

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You aren't really saying much about "the folder is empty". That could range from stuff was deleted to an improper cifs share to a permissions issue.

Onno

Dabbler
I manually reconfigured everything, cause when i import the old settings, i get a volume error where it doesn't know the amounts of used and free space...

Cifs share seems to work, but when i get to the share in windows it is empty, content that used to be there is gone...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So either your data is there and your share isn't setup properly, or your data isn't there, or your permissions aren't correct anymore...

Onno

Dabbler
I just uploaded the original (old) settings file, so all the settings are correct. Volume is online and seems ok, but still no files/folders...

How can the data be gone, if it says 90% used, available 565gb ?

Yatti420

Wizard
Make sure you restart your windows pc etc.. Then try and access the share manually "\\NAS\Share/"

If the share is truly setup correctly it will probably be a network/windows issue..

Onno

Dabbler
Are there any freenas shell commands that i can use to see the content of the volume?

ewhac

Contributor
In a previous post, it looks like your stuff is (should be) located at /mnt/NAS. In the FreeNAS shell window, run the commands:
Code:
cd /mnt/NAS
ls -l

And see if what pops out looks familiar.

gpsguy

Yes, there are command that you could use from the shell.

If you have to ask ... it might be easier to enable SSH and use WinSCP to browse and/or download files to see if they are intact.

Onno

Dabbler
In a previous post, it looks like your stuff is (should be) located at /mnt/NAS. In the FreeNAS shell window, run the commands:
Code:
cd /mnt/NAS
ls -l

And see if what pops out looks familiar.

it says:
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 root Onno 2 Feb 6 12:33 6tb

What does this mean? what now?

ewhac

Contributor
it says:
Code:
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 root Onno 2 Feb 6 12:33 6tb

What does this mean? what now?
It means you have a subdirectory named "6tb", owned by root, in a group named "Onno". Any of this sound familiar to you?

What's in the "6tb" directory:
Code:
ls -l 6tb

Onno

Dabbler
:) Yeah sounds familiar, but not the next part:

For ls -l 6tb it says: total 0

Am i correct in assuming my files are gone?

ewhac

Contributor
Ooo. That means that directory is empty (probably; we haven't checked the dot-files), and all your files are living somewhere else.

At this point, I'd run the df command, see which mount points appear to have stuff in them, and run ls -al on those directories to see where the files ended up.

EDIT: Just for laughs, what does df /mnt/NAS say?

Onno

Dabbler
Ooo. That means that directory is empty (probably; we haven't checked the dot-files), and all your files are living somewhere else.

At this point, I'd run the df command, see which mount points appear to have stuff in them, and run ls -al on those directories to see where the files ended up.

EDIT: Just for laughs, what does df /mnt/NAS say?

NAS used:10360261478 Avail:1104242669 capacity:98% mounted on: /mnt

and when i just enter df, i see that most/all space is used on NAS.....so where is it hidding?

ewhac

Contributor
i see that most/all space is used on NAS.....so where is it hidding?
Good question. Try this, just to get an idea of where to look:
Code:
find /mnt/NAS -type f | head -16

Starting at /mnt/NAS, this command will recursively search through any directories it finds and print the names of the first 16 files it finds. This will tell us A) if there are any files to be found at all; and B) where they are.

ewhac

Contributor
Whoa, wait a second:
Code:
That shouldn't say /mnt, that should say /mnt/NAS. What's under /mnt besides NAS?

Onno

Dabbler
Whoa, wait a second:

That shouldn't say /mnt, that should say /mnt/NAS. What's under /mnt besides NAS?

I did the ls -l command in /mnt and there are my files/folders !!! (and the empty NAS) Thanks so far!! How do i get the share/volume working properly again?

ewhac

Contributor
How do i get the share/volume working properly again?
Well, if it were my server, before I started moving things around, I would first check the zpools to ensure they're still in good shape and, if they are, probably force a scrub just to make sure it comes back as good.

Next, I'd probably try to figure out how the files ended up in such an odd place. In my experience with FreeNAS, /mnt typically only contains other mountpoints, so the fact all your files ended up there is confusing. Also, from your first post, you show the GUI as saying:
Volume Path Used Available Size Status
NAS /mnt/NAS 5.3 TB (90%) 565.4 GB 5.9 TB ONLINE
Yet the df command showed:
Code:

The listed mount points are not consistent. That would bother me until I got it resolved. I do not know how to advise you on this.

Now, you could simply use the mv command to move your files and directories from /mnt to /mnt/NAS, and your Windows mount should then see it all (assuming your CIFS share exposes /mnt/NAS), but you'd still have that weird inconsistency laying around, waiting to bite you. And with 6TB of data, I'd want to get that understood and fixed before moving files around.

I'm sure Cyberjock will yell at me for at least two things in this post :).

Status
Not open for further replies.