Volume status is unknown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackwage

Dabbler
I have a raid set in which Freenas is resporting this error:

The volume RaidZ (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the entire pool from backup.

The raid array is obviously called RaidZ. When I check the status of my disks, they all appear to be good. Can someone walk me through basic troubleshooting of this issue (I am a noob to Freenas)?

paleoN

Wizard
From a SSH session as root paste the output of:
Code:
zpool status -v

Use [code][/code] tags to preserve the formatting.

mackwage

Dabbler
Code:
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the        
        entire pool from backup.                                                
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A                                      
  scan: none requested                                                          
config:                                                                         

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKS
UM                                                                              
        RaidZ                                           ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/a430311d-f3bd-11e1-9e74-001cc092a3c4  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/a4b2f854-f3bd-11e1-9e74-001cc092a3c4  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/a5489379-f3bd-11e1-9e74-001cc092a3c4  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:             

/mnt/RaidZ/Media/Documents/SD-PC backups/WindowsImageBackup/SD-DT/Backup
 2013-01-28 040005/36732305-d523-46e9-82c7-943c1b4f5a55.vhdx  

So I am assuming just that single file is corrupt. This is obviously just an automated backup from my desktop.

Stephens

Patron
How are you checking the status of your disks? SMART short test? Because it's interesting that you have a RAID-Z1 and STILL managed to end up with a corrupt file. Unless I'm missing something, both the data and parity blocks would have to be bad for this to occur. You may have a situation developing that'll be worse than it currently is. Yes, I believe you only have one known bad file so far. But you may have more undetected. Who knows what a Scrub would show. I think I'd start with a short test if you haven't already. Something's going on.

You can do a forum search to see how to do a SMART short test from the shell (unless someone chimes in with the commands).

Status
Not open for further replies.