Connecting to FreeNAS Machine Anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

Explorer
And tried using the external IP (can we make sure I am using the right ip for this......?) and it's a no go

Brent

Explorer
Was making sure I wasn't making a mistake and tried a couple online SSH testers
E.G
http://www.infobyip.com/sshservertest.php
Code:
Cannot connect to 122.149.246.240:22022

http://www.serfish.com/console/
Code:
Connecting as Brent@122.XXX.XXX.XXX on port 22022...                           
/root/.ssh/known_hosts updated.                                               
Original contents retained as /root/.ssh/known_hosts.old    

Now I don't know if that second one means anything, but, either way, that windows closes down...

Whattteva

Wizard
Since local connection works, we now know for sure that your SSH is properly configured to run on port 22022. Just making sure, you ARE connecting to it from a different machine with a different IP address right? Not the same machine that runs the SSH server.

The next step is to configure your router. As I've mentioned, you need to configure a custom service, and then add that service as an inbound rule.
Keep in mind, I do not believe your router supports that feature I mentioned in the post prior to this one (NAT loopback), so I don't believe you can test this internally.
You can, however, still test if that port is getting forwarded correctly through an external port checker, such as this one.

Let me go through your router manual a bit more to see if there is anything I may have overlooked.

Brent

Explorer
Yes, I'm connecting using a completely different machine (192.168.0.4) is it's internal...
And I'm running the link you put there,
"Error: I could not see your service on 122.149.246.240 on port (22022)
Reason: Connection timed out"

Brent

Explorer
I don't know if this is anything to think about but...in my router the port 22 is already labelled SSH, I know we aren't trying to connect to that port (as we've set up 22022) but should I add a rule in the firewall (in the router) to allow that? I can't see anything that's running that in TCPView (and double checked with netstat)

Brent

Explorer
Is there any other possible settings I should have setup in FreeNAS to allow it? Global Configuration? or anything?

Whattteva

Wizard
I think there may be one more setting you need to configure in your router.
Go to Security > Firewall Rules
Under "Inbound Services", you probably have a default enabled rule that says any service -> BLOCK Always. This would of course cause your SSH service to not be visible from the outside.
If this is the case, you need to add another rule that exempts that service you configured earlier to the NAS IP address and make sure it appears at the TOP of your inbound services rule table.

Whattteva

Wizard
Is there any other possible settings I should have setup in FreeNAS to allow it? Global Configuration? or anything?
Unlikely, since you were able to connect locally, the problem most definitely lies in your router configuration blocking the traffic.

Brent

Explorer
If this is the case, you need to add another rule that exempts that service you configured earlier to the NAS IP address and make sure it appears at the TOP of your inbound services rule table.

exaggerate a little for me please?

Whattteva

Wizard
Probably easier if you just take a screenshot of that rules page and post it here.

You could try adding the SSH rule you mentioned, but I don't think it will have any effect since it is referring to port 22. If you want to try it though, there's no harm in doing so.

Brent

Explorer

Brent

Explorer
None the less )the port is still timed out using Canyouseeme

Brent

Explorer
I'd like to say thankyou to everyone that helped :)

Whattteva

Wizard
ALAS! we have victory!
http://gyazo.com/57716b9549cb1fd5394bd5227db2c159
all it was, was moving the Service Name, "MyThing" up above the, "Any(ALL)"
Well! that was rather exciting wasn't it?
I did mention in an earlier post to make sure that your services appear at the TOP of the rules table.....

Anyway, congrats on getting it to work though. This thread probably bumped up my post count by at least 50%, lol.

Brent

Explorer
Yeah...I actually was just re-reading...I'm sorry about that, none the less, THANKYOU :)
Errm...you got it to work, I had no idea..

Status
Not open for further replies.