Config Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

D G

Explorer
Hello,

Not entirely new, but figured this was the place for a basic question. After searching the documentation and google, I couldn't find a good answer of what exactly is backed up in the configuration file. I have a nightly backup and check of the config file every night, and I just tried using them to try to troubleshoot some problems with my jails, and it got me wondering what all is stored in the "configuration file", or .db file that is saved?

D

dlavigne

Everything you do from the GUI is saved in the config DB. Exceptions are what you do inside jails and ZFS metadata which is written to the disks themselves.

D G

Explorer
Awesome, thank you.

rogerh

Guru
Everything you do from the GUI is saved in the config DB. Exceptions are what you do inside jails and ZFS metadata which is written to the disks themselves.

Do you mean that the config file keeps a narrative record of all alterations made from the GUI? Or does it just keep a record of all the GUI fields that are currently different from defaults?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The config file keeps a narrative of all fields in the WebGUI. The "default" is only the default because the config file that is included with FreeNAS when you install it has those settings in it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.