Completely new to this, looking for suggestions on building a NAS for use as media server and home storage.

Visivopro

Cadet
Firstly, I just found out about TrueNAS about two days ago so my knowledge is very limited.

Currently I’m using a pretty basic dell pc as a media pc. I have a 12tb external drive connected to it with about 5tb of movies and tv shows that I use plex to access.

I’m pretty computer savvy but when it comes to networking and NAS, I’m a complete noob.

My question is two parted, could or should I convert my current basic pc into a NAS or is it advisable to build one?

Considering my needs as a plex server and storage for emulation and Roms, what would be a good system? Am I out of my element? Should I just stick to an off the shelf system like synology or something?

What are things I need to consider?

As for storage capacity, I’d like at least 4 drives, 10-12tb each, considering Ironwolf Red NAS drives.

I have a fiber connection so I have plenty of bandwidth for 4K playback but generally use 1080 99% of the time.

Storage a purely for archival purposes and won’t be used for anything other then backup.

Please feel free to educate me, as I said I’m completely out of my element. I am however a quick study and feel like I could definitely learn the software quickly. I have built many custom PCs and did work in networking but it was 15+ years ago and a lot has changed.

I appreciate any help or even just point me in the direction of some resources for laymen’s.

Thank you

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Welcome!

For information, please check the links from "recommended readings" in my signature for more information. That should already answer many of your questions and also help to narrow things down.

Visivopro

Cadet
Welcome!

For information, please check the links from "recommended readings" in my signature for more information. That should already answer many of your questions and also help to narrow things down.
Hey Chris

Thanks for the reply, however I don’t see any signature or links attached to your name. Could be because I’m on mobile.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Hey Chris

Thanks for the reply, however I don’t see any signature or links attached to your name. Could be because I’m on mobile.
1672133555232.png

The blue box "Show: Recommended readings"