So I'm going to Build a NAS! - Looking for some suggestions and tweaks

ComplexCarb

Dabbler
Just for my knowledge here -> Why do you not want a workstation board as a NAS board? If the Memory/CPU is all compatible; what is the negative other than some features you won't be using?

mervincm

Contributor
It’s a pretty small segment. You want a CPU that lives enough in the consumer segment to support a modern iGPU and media transcoding features, and in the server space to support ECC. That means an I3 or a base Xeon targeted to the low end workstation market. In my experience that result in system boards with extra junk you don’t want (lo quality NIC, audio/RGB, overclocking/USB overload) and less of the stuff you do (more SATA/NVME, PCIE multi lane slots, quality fast NIC, ECC. RAM slots, low power usage)

Looks like it uses CMR, which is good.

7200 RPM might be loud and hot, but then again I'm not even sure if 5400 or 5900 RPM are actually the advertised spindle speeds.

EDIT: Keep in mind that if you're in it for lower power draw, less noise, and less heat, "faster" isn't always ideal. Especially if your NAS is meant for archival reasons primarily.

Arwen

MVP
Side question. Have any of yall tried out these Western Digital Ultrastar drives?

I have a WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB model. Works fine as a backup disk to my computers.